Help me choose a sub for my Jeep, PLEASE!!!

HandsumAssassin
10+ year member

Hi Everyone (please be patient, this one will be lengthy)

I'm still working on putting something together for my Jeep. In my past vehicles I always leaned toward an SQ setup, but since I now have a Jeep, SQ and imaging and that sort of thing are pretty futile... although I'd still like some degree of clarity. For that reason I've decided to stay away from components and just get regular pairs of 2-way and/or 3-way speakers. I'm going to go with either Infinity KAPPA 6.5" 3-ways for the overhead soundbar and matching KAPPA 5.25" 2-ways for the floor pods OR Rockford 6.5" 2-ways and 5.25" 2-ways. Both options would have just about the same RMS handling (75 watts for the 6.5's and 55-60 for the 5.25's) BUT according to the specs, the Rockfords have a wider frequency range (35-24K as opposed to the Infinities' 45-22K). It's my understanding that Infinity is generally an SQ company anyway so I'll probably shy away from them and go with the Rockfords.

The amp I've been looking at is the Alpine MRV-F450. It's a 5-channel, 50x4 + 200x1 RMS. I WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO USE JUST ONE AMP FOR MY SETUP. I thought this one would be perfect for all four speakers up front AND whatever sub I decide to go with. I'm not looking to spend a fortune and I'm not looking to compete. I just want something that would sound great in my Jeep when the top is down, even on the highway... this factory stuff blows.

NOW FOR MY MAIN CONCERN... which sub should I go with??? I want to have just one 12". I was considering the Infinity PERFECT, JL W6, or an ED O or K. The 200Watts from the Alpine amp would probably be perfect for the PERFECT since I hear they are fragile... but the PERFECT is actually last on my list for that very reason AND because I've read that they don't get too loud and are, once again, strickly SQ oriented. I realize that a W6 and the ED subs can handle alot more than 200 Watts RMS, but could I get one of those and still make them sound decent in a Jeep with a halftop?

I'll explain the halftop.... I've taken the rear bench out of my Jeep and installed a halftop, which is a deck from the rear of the Jeep to the back of the front seats... the window then shoots directely upward behind the front seats and then forward over the front passengers to create a half"roof"... in essence, my Jeep is a 2-seater.

The single 12" sub will be sitting in the center-rear of the free space behind the front seats (where the rear bench used to be and directly underneath the deck). PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE ON WHICH SUB TO PURCHASE. The ED subs seem very attractive. I've read that they are very clear AND loud. Any other suggestions besides the subs I have listed??

MANY MANY THANX IN ADVANCE

This is just my opinion mind you....

I would buy infinity or alot of other brands before investing any money into fosgate co-axials or comp speakers.

I like the idea of a 1 amp system as well and Alpine makes nice equipment. If I could do it all over again id buy the newest Memphis Belle (75x4 + 1100x1).

Any of those subs listed are very nice, if you want to expand your options look ito Image Dynamics IDQ line, they are cheap, loud, and clear. Im not one to hype RE, but the SE would fit the bill and I have owned a few 12's and was very impressed with the output and clarity for the price.

Hope you enjoy whatever you decide to get.

BTW: Polk makes very nice sounding 6.5's

Okay I have a little experience with jeeps as they are hard to make loud and sound good. If you want a sub 200 watts won't do anything to a sub in a jeep especially. Why don't you look for an amp that will put out more power on the sub end of it. That would work better for ya. Also the rockford co-ax's are not very good sounding IMO. Also another thing you could do is buy 2 RE 8's and make them ported with that alpine amp 100watts a speaker would be okay, but more power and single 12" would be better.

If you want a sub 200 watts won't do anything to a sub in a jeep especially.
Really?! Will I not be able to tell that I have a sub sitting a couple feet behind me in my Jeep if "only" 200 watts are going to it? I mean, I know of people who have simple setups with only 100x2 going to a couple 10's and it sounds just fine. Those setups are in car trunks, not Jeeps, but I just can't imagine 200 watts "doing nothing". I'm not trying to compete or to impress anyone driving in the next lane or sitting next to me at a traffic light. AND I don't want to over-invest in audio for a Jeep. I just want to replace this factory crap with decent, crisp sound and noticeable bass.

To fit that criteria, would the 200 to a 12" Perfect work?

Okay the problem with a jeep is all the outside elements and the road noise that jeeps have. You will be able to hear it but not much. You will not be able to feel it either. I have a friend with a kicker comp vr 10" and an orion xtr 375 the 10" is sealed and you can hardly hear it at all because of the road noise. With his top off you cannot hear it at all with the top on it is decent. I have another friend who has 3 JL 8w6's sealed with like 600 watts on all three and they pound very good in his jeep with top off or on. I also have another friend who has 2 RE 8's in his jeep ported with roughly 300 watts on them and it is almost as loud as the jeep with 3 8's. I would just personally go with 2 speakers of some sort for a cone area advantage and you can keep it in a small sealed box also.

Okay the problem with a jeep is all the outside elements and the road noise that jeeps have. You will be able to hear it but not much. You will not be able to feel it either. I have a friend with a kicker comp vr 10" and an orion xtr 375 the 10" is sealed and you can hardly hear it at all because of the road noise. With his top off you cannot hear it at all with the top on it is decent. I have another friend who has 3 JL 8w6's sealed with like 600 watts on all three and they pound very good in his jeep with top off or on. I also have another friend who has 2 RE 8's in his jeep ported with roughly 300 watts on them and it is almost as loud as the jeep with 3 8's. I would just personally go with 2 speakers of some sort for a cone area advantage and you can keep it in a small sealed box also.
My friend has 2 jenson 10's in a bandpass with a 100w's of Wal Mart power in a CJ5 w/ absolutly nothing but 2 seats, roll bar, and steering wheel that gets rained on constantly and you can tell. I find it hard to believe that 200w's going to a 12" driver will not be sufficent for the human ear to register and regard as a source of lows. Look, you may have some experience in the subject, but because he wants to purchase something you dont think would be the best, dont say you wont hear it because thats BS.

My friend has 2 jenson 10's in a bandpass with a 100w's of Wal Mart power in a CJ5 w/ absolutly nothing but 2 seats, roll bar, and steering wheel that gets rained on constantly and you can tell. I find it hard to believe that 200w's going to a 12" driver will not be sufficent for the human ear to register and regard as a source of lows. Look, you may have some experience in the subject, but because he wants to purchase something you dont think would be the best, dont say you wont hear it because thats BS.

Now I am not saying he won't be able to hear it. I am saying it won't be suffiecient for his needs. In case you didn't notice I was giving an opinion and there is no need to lash out at me. I am just telling him my experience with jeeps and in case you don't have experience with them they are very hard to do ANYTHING with.

AS a side note the infinity perfect 12" is a little more of a SQ sub and they don't really play all that loud in a sealed box. Oh yeah the ED k series might be a little better for your app with small sealed and the power you are working with.

Regarding wind and road noise...

Despite the roar of 35" tires and the wind zooming by, keep in mind that I have a Halftop. In a sense, the box w/ sub will be in it's own little enclosure with the only opening facing the back/lower part of the front seats (a halftop creates somewhat of a Jeep "trunk", particularly in my case since I've taken the rear bench out). Sound from the sub won't really be "swept away" by incoming wind because any wind swooping over and around the front cabin won't be "entering" the rear of the Jeep, ... instead it'll hit the canvas top covering the entire rear half of the Jeep, including the sub.

I would think that wind wouldn't be as much of a factor for a Jeep halftop.

What do you think?

Wait a minute...those don't really look like 4x6's to me. But then again what do I know? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.