Help with wiring.

batmanwb
10+ year member

My dad thinks that if I hook up an amp and subs in my car it the amp will backfeed into another power source or cars ecu and fry something.is this possible?i have an in-line fuse from battery about 12" away from the battery.My amp pushes about 850 w.If you could please help tell me what could happen and how to make it safe.thanks?

to my knowledge the amp only receives power from the battery not sends it out i guess the best way i can put it is that the power is gonna travel to where ever there is something asking for the power (power goes from high power to low power) the best comparison would have to be diffusion or osmosis but anyone else with more knowledge feel free to chime in.

Never have I heard of that happening. A short is always possible with any kind of wiring but if you're fused you'll be fine.

My dad thinks that if I hook up an amp and subs in my car it the amp will backfeed into another power source or cars ecu and fry something.is this possible?i have an in-line fuse from battery about 12" away from the battery.My amp pushes about 850 w.If you could please help tell me what could happen and how to make it safe.thanks?
Make sure you use heavy gauge power wire run directly from the battery. No, there is no "backfeed". Disconnect the batteries negative terminal while your wiring everything. That is the only time you can damage your electrical system.

I suggest you get a complete amp wiring kit from here:

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KLM-K4

http://www.knukonceptz.com

Ask yourself this; Does your dad have any working knowledge of electrical circuits, specifically DC electrical? How many car audio systems has he personally installed successfully in his life? Has he held a job that required skills other than flipping burgers and asking "would you like fries with that"?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.