high/low pass filters

bdavies11
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Florida
I tried to use the search function to find some answers/advice but it doesn't seem to be working right now.

I am wanting to set my front stage to play 250hz and up, while the mids (new addition to the system as I never used dedicated mids before) would handle everything between 63hz-250hz and have the sub play everything below that. I can set these ranges at the amp or on the headunit. My question is, does it make any difference where I set these filters?

I'm assuming that I should let all frequencies pass through the amp and set the filters at the headunit since that would allow me to make changes on the fly if I wanted to. Just looking for some expert opinions/advice.

Well, looks like the search function is working again. Found some answers. Seems like most prefer to set their filters at the headunit for ease of adjustments on the fly. Guess it doesn't matter much. If anyone thinks differently, feel free to chime in.

Well, looks like the search function is working again. Found some answers. Seems like most prefer to set their filters at the headunit for ease of adjustments on the fly. Guess it doesn't matter much. If anyone thinks differently, feel free to chime in.
You're running active? What you're describing is called a bandpass filter. Is either your deck or amp capable of this?

You're running active? What you're describing is called a bandpass filter. Is either your deck or amp capable of this?
Headunit is in my sig but am probably going to switch to a deh-80prs. Either way I believe both are capable.

My 4 channel amp has a high pass (80-1200 Hz) for channels 1&2 and low pass (50-250 Hz) for channels 3&4. Sub is on its own mono amp.

I'm currently running passive with my front stage high passed at 80hz. Low pass filter for the sub is set at the same (80hz). I'm going to add some mids to (channels 3&4) to take care of the mid range frequencies but I only want them to handle the frequencies between 63hz and 250hz.

Headunit is in my sig but am probably going to switch to a deh-80prs. Either way I believe both are capable.
My 4 channel amp has a high pass (80-1200 Hz) for channels 1&2 and low pass (50-250 Hz) for channels 3&4. Sub is on its own mono amp.

I'm currently running passive with my front stage high passed at 80hz. Low pass filter for the sub is set at the same (80hz). I'm going to add some mids to (channels 3&4) to take care of the mid range frequencies but I only want them to handle the frequencies between 63hz and 250hz.
Skimmed through the manual briefly, doesn't appear to be active capable. May need to hold out for the 80prs to install the extra speakers.

Well I can install the mids and have them work with my current headunit. I just wont be able to control the frequencies exactly as I want, correct?

Well what if I were to set the HPF for the rear's on my headunit to say, 63hz and set the LPF for the rears on the amp to 250hz. Wouldn't that create a band pass for the mids? Or would that not work?

Well what if I were to set the HPF for the rear's on my headunit to say, 63hz and set the LPF for the rears on the amp to 250hz. Wouldn't that create a band pass for the mids? Or would that not work?
Yes - that would work just fine.

10-4, Thanks. That should hold me over until I get an 80prs. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.