Higher Effiency vs Lower Ohm Load

Here’s impedance plots using speakerboxlite and an Alpine Type R sub. The impedance is altered when the sub is placed in different enclosures.

Red = ported, Green = sealed, Orange = IB/free air, Blue is band pass.

View attachment 59107
Why is only one axis labeled? I'm not going to take your word without seeing the original source, because you have switched from discussing to arguing.
Considering impedance changes as the coil moves...anything that effects coil movement (like a box) effects impedance...
Why does impedance change as the coil moves?

I'm willing to be wrong if anyone can conclusively prove it. It's obvious to me that none of you have ever even questioned the concept before, so now you're desperately trying to justify your belief.

Why is only one axis labeled? I'm not going to take your word without seeing the original source, because you have switched from discussing to arguing.

Why does impedance change as the coil moves?

I'm willing to be wrong if anyone can conclusively prove it. It's obvious to me that none of you have ever even questioned the concept before, so now you're desperately trying to justify your belief.
Nobody is desperately trying to justify anything. Box rise is "common knowledge." I can't even count how many times I've plotted different response and impedance curves for different enclosures - probably into the thousands.

The bottom axis is your standard logarithmic frequency response on the x-axis, TBH, I half think you're trolling; I have a hard time believing somebody who has been the hobby 10 years doesn't recognize what the x-axis is despite the missing label. I also have a hard time believing somebody who has been in the hobby for 10 years has never used software to analyze how different enclosures affect response and hasn't seen these graphs before.

Impedance changes because the coil is in magnetic gap and attached to a suspension, so the coil is no longer a simple inductor that responds only to changes in frequency.

Graph generated in speakerboxlite. At 41hz all 4 enclosures have a different impedance.

1720904281078.png

Nobody is desperately trying to justify anything. Box rise is "common knowledge." I can't even count how many times I've plotted different response and impedance curves for different enclosures - probably into the thousands.

The bottom axis is your standard logarithmic frequency response on the x-axis, TBH, I half think you're trolling; I have a hard time believing somebody who has been the hobby 10 years doesn't recognize what the x-axis is despite the missing label. I also have a hard time believing somebody who has been in the hobby for 10 years has never used software to analyze how different enclosures affect response and hasn't seen these graphs before.

Impedance changes because the coil is in magnetic gap and attached to a suspension, so the coil is no longer a simple inductor that responds only to changes in frequency.

Graph generated in speakerboxlite. At 41hz all 4 enclosures have a different impedance.

View attachment 59111
Now I think your graph is silly. You're saying that boxes increase impedance, and impedance is steady from 200hz and up? Please show me the math.

Now I think your graph is silly. You're saying that boxes increase impedance, and impedance is steady from 200hz and up? Please show me the math.
No, I'm not saying that impedance is steady from 200hz and up. The software doesn't bother to plot it since we would normally crossover electronically and don't care about response above ~100hz. Inductance would be merely be a 1st order LPF with impedance approaching infinity with ever increasing frequency. As I said before, you're probably just trolling since it appears you're familiar with what an impedance curve should look like and when the VC's inductance should start acting as an LPF.

You can download Winisd or whatever software is available to observe how manipulating enclosures changes the impedance curve. Of course if were actually concerned about this issue, you would just do your own modeling, google search, etc. I think you're probably just arguing for arguing's sake.

Is LEAP good enough for you?

1720923400238.png

1720923419724.png

It's a super simple thing to test for yourself...hook your dmm to a sub and push on the cone
If he has non-inductive resistor (out of an old crossover network), he could build a simple voltage dividing network and run test tones/sine sweeps and watch the impedance change in real time. Could even do it with the sub in the enclosure (preferably ported) vs free-air. It's a little bit of effort, but dude seems damned and determined to not believe what anybody else has to say on the matter.

Hopefully these are useful links to anybody concerned about the effects of enclosures on impedance.

DIYaudio discussion about effects of enclosure on impedance with graphs.

Winspeakerz demonstrating how impedance, FR and phase change with enclosure.

Winspeakerz offers a impedance calculator with their software suite, which of course wouldn't be necessary if impedance wasn't altered by the enclosure.

I'll always opt for an amp that makes what I need (or a little more) at 4ohms and twice what I need at 1 ohm. Everything plays nicer at 4 ohms when it can do much more at 1 or 2. Size is no longer a "huge" factor (pun intended) anymore and power is cheap. Unless one cannot afford too, that's the way I roll.
This x2, exactly. It's been my experience that 4 ohm operation sounds better to the ear. Never more than 2 ohms for me, and 4 is better. Worth the cost

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...