Hooking up a battery isolator in a conversion van

udfxrookie

So when I started moving things to upgrade my wiring I see:

Alternator -> Car Fuse/Distribution Block -> Car Battery

would the proper setup be:

Alternator -> Personal 2 way distribution block -> Battery Isolator -> Battery A -> Car Fuse/ Distribution Block

-> Battery Isolator -> Battery B

or

From battery isolator to batteries

Alternator -> Personal 2 way distribution block -1-> Car Fuse/ Distribution Block

-2-> Battery Isolator -> Battery A

-> Battery B

Are you trying to have the battery isolator isolate the alternator as well as the batteries? The whole idea of it is you can switch the isolator over to one of the batteries with the vehicle off to keep the other charged. With vehicle on they're not supposed to be doing anything and the batteries should be basically in parallel

Basically alternator > batt 1 > system

and then a cable from batt 1 to batt 2 with the isolator inbetween. The isolator is energized with key on and is closed (connected) with vehicle on. Isolator is open (not connected) with vehicle off

every source of power needs to be fused within 18inches, ill let you figure that out.

The isolator is automatic. It focuses on charging the main battery and charges the secondary battery when the main hits a certain level. If the main dips, it switches back so the main is constanly within a certain range.

The main goal is that I have the alternator charging both batteries and have the batteries isolated.... one is for the interior inverter/car audio/etc and the other is the main vehicle battery.

The isolator is automatic. It focuses on charging the main battery and charges the secondary battery when the main hits a certain level. If the main dips, it switches back so the main is constanly within a certain range.
The main goal is that I have the alternator charging both batteries and have the batteries isolated.... one is for the interior inverter/car audio/etc and the other is the main vehicle battery.
the way I propose you wire it should do that

the issue with one of the ways you proposed is the alternator will act as a bus bar and bypass the isolator

i highly recommend you look into big deep cycle batteries and a HO or large case GM alternator to handle that load and charge the batteries when they're dead. you'll have a big load demand if you drain them and the vehicle gets started and you can hurt an alternator

Thank you =) and yes the main battery is a yellow top deep cycle and the secondary batteries are stinger cells setup parallel
happy to help

of course using 1/0 wire would be a good idea too, or 4ga at minimum. welding cable is a great option and much cheaper than some of the cable you may be looking at

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.