How many watts do I need my amp to have?

20inchblades

Houston
I have a sub box containing 2 10'' subs, and 2 3'' mids in the same box, the tag says 600 watts. My question is..if i bought a 2 channel amp, how many watts would i need per channel to support the speakers in the box? since i don't know how many watts are required for each speaker? also what size gauge is recommended for this size speakers?

I have a sub box containing 2 10'' subs, and 2 3'' mids in the same box, the tag says 600 watts. My question is..if i bought a 2 channel amp, how many watts would i need per channel to support the speakers in the box? since i don't know how many watts are required for each speaker? also what size gauge is recommended for this size speakers?
We need to know the impedance of the speakers and how they are wired. Also how many voicecoils and power rating of each speaker.

Can you provide the model number and brand of the speakers or the "box"? Are the mids and subs wired together? Maybe post some pics?

Unless the 3" speakers are enclosed, it's a bad idea to have them in a box with the subs. But to answer your question, 3 inch speakers are usually OK with only about 25 watts each and appropriate hipass filter or bass blockers.

Unfortunately that is not a good sub, are you willing to get a new sub and amp? I think you will waste money on amp if u use this
Yeah, but I plan to start off with this one, unless you have a strong recommendation for a decently priced pair of subs, pls send link

It has 2 input terminals
I am highly suspect of the specs for that low-end unit. I would *assume* it is 600W Max Total for the box, therefore 300 W MAX (not RMS) per side. Look for a two channel amp that puts out around 150 to 200 W RMS per channel and you should be fine. Be sure to set the amp gains properly.

I am highly suspect of the specs for that low-end unit. I would *assume* it is 600W Max Total for the box, therefore 300 W MAX (not RMS) per side. Look for a two channel amp that puts out around 150 to 200 W RMS per channel and you should be fine. Be sure to set the amp gains properly.
Thank You, also what size speaker wire gauge should I use for this system.

Also is there anything to be cautious with when setting the amp gains?

Thank You, also what size speaker wire gauge should I use for this system.Also is there anything to be cautious with when setting the amp gains?
i just pray that you don't think that will bump, there are 6x9s that will probably out perform those... i'd try to return 'em and get some decent used stuff off here, and hopefully they are going into a suv... but just don't expect to be blown away... i feel you will be sadly disappointed with those subs...

and does that say 30oz magnet? lol my pioneer 6x9 are almost triple that weight... just saying... you bought 'em for the lights huh? sorry for sounding like a A**hole but just trying to prepare you for when you hook them up...

i just pray that you don't think that will bump, there are 6x9s that will probably out perform those... i'd try to return 'em and get some decent used stuff off here, and hopefully they are going into a suv... but just don't expect to be blown away... i feel you will be sadly disappointed with those subs...
and does that say 30oz magnet? lol my pioneer 6x9 are almost triple that weight... just saying... you bought 'em for the lights huh? sorry for sounding like a A**hole but just trying to prepare you for when you hook them up...
I got them as a gift but I will use them till they blow out then probably upgrade, this is my first time with a system so I'm going to try this one

Yeah, but I plan to start off with this one, unless you have a strong recommendation for a decently priced pair of subs, pls send link
what is your budget with an amp? what will happen is you will buy an amp for this and when it gets old you will have to get another amp for the better sub. what you can do is start with a decent dvc 4ohm single sub and run it at 2ohm on a decent amp and when your ready get another one and wire both subs to 1 ohm and make sure the amp you bought is powerful enough to handle the 2 subs.

for example one 600w sub and a 1000-1500w amp at 1 ohm these should be able to run that 1 sub at 2 ohm and will be able to run 2 subs at 1 ohm

I got them as a gift but I will use them till they blow out then probably upgrade, this is my first time with a system so I'm going to try this one
if you got a stock system, they will sound better than that..... we all start some where...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.