How old where you when you got into car audio?

2 months after my 19th birthday...ironically, the same month I started driving...

..and oh yea...today would be 5 months after my 19th birthday

11-12 years old I guess. I remember it too ... hooking up the speakers, amps, head unit, and equalizers for school plays and gatherings in grades 5/6/7 in good old elementary school. Those were the days.

Wish I would have chosen something ... cheaper.

- Steve

I was about 14 (crap that was a long time ago). Started working on my car on my 16th birthday, the day I got my liscense.

Steve- If you get serious about any hobby, they are all expensive! My hobby? I collect hobbies, according to my wife //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Steve- If you get serious about any hobby, they are all expensive! My hobby? I collect hobbies, according to my wife //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Thats pretty funny.

I was around 14 or 15 when I finally started helping and getting in my brothers way. I call it a "hobby" and I "collect" equipment, but my girlfriend calls it an obsession.

Well I was about 13 when I heard my friends McIntosh HT setup, after cleaning out my pants I was hooked on audio in general. When I was 16 I heard some HX2 15's and left the car in serious pain, that sorta did it for me.

14yrs old! I'm 20yrs old now.

I can't stop. I tried doing other things, but I became addicted. I'm a Car Audio addict! I've collected numerous car audio accessories, then sold them to get bigger and better things!

i was 18. i hooked up some Pioneers and a nice tape deck (ugh i know!) to my old '72 Chevy Caprice (since laid to rest, RIP ol' girl...). i could turn it up pretty loud, and between this, my walkman, and my old stereo, i never had to stop listening to music for a second.

here i am, 6 years later, and i finally decided to put a little more effort into making my car's audio sound as good as my home's. no lookin' back now!

oh, and as far as hobbies go, my others are music-making (electronic/industrial), and knives (good ones, not that piss you see on HSN). between all three, my wife's about ready to throw my ass out!

abe m.

I was about 15 years old. My first system I heard was my step-brother's. It was 2 Pyle Driver 10's in a sealed box with 150 RMS off a 4 channel MEI amp.

I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Before that I though that car stereo's were stupid.

I wanted a deck and speakers when I was 13ish, but I thought that the subs were dumb till I heard my step brother's.

I bought my audio equipment before I had my first car //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. I live in Canada so I couldn't drive on my own till I was 16 years 8 months old, but on that exact day, I drove back from the test, called the insurance company and then bumped all the way to school with my system I already had installed //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Now I just spend all of my money on it. I just built a wall for my 2 RE HC 15's and I'm awaiting my amp to see how it all sounds. I can't wait.

Craig G

almost a year ago when i was 16... i knew the stock system in my suburban sounded like absolute doody so i wanted to get new HU and speakers... loved the experience of putting it in so i started to get into it more

only about 3 years ago when i was 15. Nothing really got me interested in it. One day I was just like, I want a sub, and there it goes. Consumes every second I'm not in school or with my gf //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

**** you guys started driving early! Either you guys made some big bucks or had some rich ass parents...lol.

but I always been involved with music - you could always see me with some headphones, dozens of walkmans/cd players and now 2 hdd mp3 players, different sets of speakers, and trying to learn more instruments that I had time to...I'm now down to 1 main one (drums) and 1 on the side (piano)...over the years

so when I started driving...it was inevitable for me to get involved.

13 - basically caught on just because my bro was into it. He did an all out (by our standards) competition install when I was about 15. 4 early 90's optidrive amps, 4 Lanzar 10's, 12 other mids/tweets - completely stealth installation.

From that point on I've never had a car without SOME kind of soundsystem in it - including my boat and my GF's Montero.

Thats pretty funny.
I was around 14 or 15 when I finally started helping and getting in my brothers way. I call it a "hobby" and I "collect" equipment, but my girlfriend calls it an obsession.
When I was in Japan, I raced RC cars and spent well over $10k on that over the course of a few years. Sold a lot of the cars I didn't use to bankroll the new stereo (HU, Stinger Expert stuff, Batcap 800, my 3rd 225HCCA, etc...). I also wargame (Games Workshop is wicked expensive especially when you have over 3000 figures). I also have built a small machine shop in my garage (it was in the spare bedroom in our apartment in Japan which really pissed my wife off since my hobbies completely filled that room). I have purchased a bunch of new power tools since we bought our house in June (nowhere to put the stuff in Japan and I couldn't afford it over there anyway). I have my Harley as well (HD stands for "hundred dollars" cause everything for it costs at least a C-note). I missed hunting season this last year, but the dog will be put to work this coming winter though he doesn't know it yet. I think I am going to start fly-fishing this spring as well. I hate to be bored, in case you haven't figured it out!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.