How to properly equalize a flat-sub? Any recommendations or suggestions?

rkk

Europe
Hi, I have a Citroen C2. I got for it a new Kenwood head unit (With 3band EQ), two two way speakers to replace the front door speakers and a Raveland Flatsub Fs8.

The front door speakers seem to be quite well equalized (having them for the highs and mids), though I had to take out most of the bass out of them as the whole door of the car would turn into a huge farting vibrator otherwise (It would require to tape the whole car probably to get rid of the vibrations, which is not an option for me right now).

To fill the lack of bass I'm using a Raveland Flatsub Fs8 (20cm, 600W, 200W RMS, 112 dB, 40 ‑ 200 Hz freq. range bought from here: https://goo.gl/MQLXxw).

But I have some issues equalizing it. On it's default settings the 100 to 150 Hz range is pretty loud, but the issue starts when it goes to 80Hz or lower, where the decay is tremendous, and it's hardly believable that it gets as low as 40Hz, I would even say that under 80 or 70Hz you can barely hear anything. This sounds pretty punchy but it feels like you can only hear the kicks but no bass at all.

On the other hand, I was trying to get most of the lower frequencies, so I cranked up the Bass Boost on the subwoffer, and set the low pass filter to 80Hz, on the 3 band equalizer in the head unit I dragged down the 100Hz and boosted the volume up in the subwoffer to get stronger 40Hz frequencies and lower 80Hz frequencies to have a more even transition between those ranges.

The last setting seems to be the best for me, but there is one problem with it. If I drag down too much the 100Hz band, there is absolutely no punchiness, the kicks are barely or absolutely not audible.

So at the end I left the 100Hz there, but now it seems like 40 to 90Hz are nice and somehow evenly loud but over 100Hz or so, there seems like they are super boosted (I don't know why this is even audible as the low pass filter is set to 80Hz on both the subwoffer and head unit).

I guess I'm tackling this completely wrong and I should forget about forcing those lower frequencies on a flat sub. I was wondering if somebody with more knowledge on this topic could point me to the right direction or suggest me how to equalize the whole thing properly.

Greetings and thanks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.