Hybrid

I don't see why not. It has a n ICE engine an alternator, should be fine. Even with the potential to exceed the recommended 30amp draw, very rare that you will when playing music. You may need to get some help from a 2nd battery if you expect to actuality exceeded that 30 amp (350 watt) threshold Here is some food for thought on amperage draw potential:

Can I install 1200 watt amp in my 2016 kia optima hybrid
A 1200 watt amp will draw about 120 amps. That is a lot of juice. If you are at low volume, you wouldn't have much of a problem. When you turn it up, you will have a lot of flickering lights. It would be best to add a high power alternator. I am not aware of the current output of your alternator, but factories will only install an alternator that's just powerful enough to power the cars electrical system.

A 1200 watt amp will draw about 120 amps. That is a lot of juice. If you are at low volume, you wouldn't have much of a problem. When you turn it up, you will have a lot of flickering lights. It would be best to add a high power alternator. I am not aware of the current output of your alternator, but factories will only install an alternator that's just powerful enough to power the cars electrical system.
That's a theoretical draw, not going to be the case in music playback.

Potential and realized are way different. Music is dynamic and even with a 4500 watt system, played loudly, I've never clamped more than about 50-60 amp peak so assuming they are playing music 99% of the time, they'll never see anything near 120 amp draw. My guess is more like 10-15 amps when blaring it.

Even if that were the case, a HO alternator is almost always the last thing needed in todays systems where ample support from a 2nd battery or a small lithium bank will suffice.

I cannot think of anyone's 1200 watt system that would actually need an HO alternator or a 2nd battery.

Last edited:
That's a theoretical draw, not going to be the case in music playback.

Potential and realized are way different. Music is dynamic and even with a 4500 watt system, played loudly, I've never clamped more than about 50-60 amp peak so assuming they are playing music 99% of the time, they'll never see anything near 120 amp draw. My guess is more like 10-15 amps when blaring it.

Even if that were the case, a HO alternator is almost always the last thing needed in todays systems where ample support from a 2nd battery or a small lithium bank will suffice.

I cannot think of anyone's 1200 watt system that would actually need an HO alternator or a 2nd battery.
Very true. Someone may never draw the amperage from an amp. However, drawing half of that, I have seen to be common with individuals who like to bump it hard. That being said, if your system is drawing even 30 to 40 amps from a 150 amp alternator, you will see quite a bit of flickering. Flickering indicates there is a strain on your charging system, which can turn into issues.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...