I can not figure this out (2005 chevy impala door speaker install)

Prise

Idaho
So I want to replace my factory door speakers on my 2005 chevy impala. Id prefer to just go with coaxial speakers to keep things simple as I am just looking for a basic upgrade. But here's the thing.

The factory setup almost seems to be like components. The tweeter is separate from the woofer and it has its own wires. When you remove the speaker, there is 4 wires. Two for the tweeter, and two for the woofer. One video on YouTube just shows the guy cutting the tweeters off and using the wires from the woofer for the new coaxial speaker. But someone in the comments brought up an interesting point. They said this.

"anybody else besides me notice the wires where bi-amp'd? that means each pair is freq'd hi & low pass, he just hook'd up low pass to a coaxial speaker, that means the coaxial tweeter is improperly freq'd!"

Is his comment true? The car has a stock amp so I believe the wires are not running directly to the aftermarket head unit.

How would I go about properly replacing this speaker with a coaxial? I can not find any information on this and there is no wire harness I've found that looks like the one I would need. See picture.

Looks like one of those wires goes to a factory amp. Most newer vehicles will have a factory amp hidden someplace. My Tahoe has one....also separate comps before I swtiched them for better speakers, and had to disconnect the corresponding harness from the factory amp and cut the necessary wires from it to wire the new speakers. And to the 4 ch amp.

That's understandable.

But the neg and pos and other wire you will need to figure out which wire's are for the tweeter. My guess would be the red, positive, and black, neg. But I could be wrong, but in reality it should be right. These car mfgr's have some weird color for wiring sometimes so gotta check on that one.

My main concern is if I'm going to be losing my highs since there was separate wires for the tweeters and I just want to install coaxial speakers which will only take two wires, not all four.

What are the chances that there are factory crossovers somewhere? I worry the input may be going into a crossover, then into the coaxial.

Still no affect?

For example, here is a wiring diagram for my supposed factory amp. In the second picture, it shows outputs for the tweeters which is what is leading me to believe that the factory amp may have a crossover in it.

Those are the colors I was telling you about earlier. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Those are just inputs for the harness to the amp, and it's breakdown for color coordination as to which speaker, pos, neg, and to the factory amp.

Huh...you know, I wonder if you have 2 factory amps....

To my understanding, the first image (C1) would be all the wires coming from the head unit into the factory amp and the second image (C2) would be all the wires leaving the factory amp and going to the speakers.

To my understanding, the first image (C1) would be all the wires coming from the head unit into the factory amp and the second image (C2) would be all the wires leaving the factory amp and going to the speakers.

Your absolutely correct. Just seemed a little confusing.

That said, hopefully you can go from here and replace those factory speakers w/o interferring with the factory cars amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.