I checked the stickys but is there anything around here on "tuning for dummies"?

Participant count
  • Participant list

scootinZ
10+ year member

Chicago
Guys, Pretty much a greenhorn here, but I have 2 systems I would like to try and tune a bit. Is there anything out there on the basics of setting crossovers, filters and gains on an amp and what to use or not use on a head unit? Neither by any means are competition systems etc... but are fine for me... one being a DD and the other a 40 year old muscle car. Nothing super fancy at all. Tahoe with a few year old Pioneer DEH-X8600BH and much older Alpine 4 channel MRV-F340 running the fronts and rears on channel 1&2 and and a LJ 10 W0v3 bridged on 3&4.

The other set up is all Rockford Fosgate. Rounds in the kickpanels, 6x9's in the deck with a large amp (non't have the info on that car as it's still in storage, but for only having those 4 speakers it really cranks and the large trunk gives surprisingly decent bass. Many think it has a small sub. I am thinking of adding maybe a 12" to that car at some point.

Any advice or links on tuning that you guys feel are accurate would be appreciated. I played with the Tahoe last night a bit after replacing the old rotted out JL with a new one and it sounds pretty good, but I am keeping gains sorta low and have no clue where to set crossovers and filters as it's been jacked with over the years so I have no clue where everything "should be" or at least close anyhoo....

Thanks!!!

Makes total sense. I have a decent fluke meter. I will try this. I THINK that head unit is 4V but I am not sure. I will look it up. Thanks for this. Big help.

Still not sure I understand the crossover and the HP/LP filters and what they actually do. Never really set up a system and the manual for the amp is long gone. Maybe Alpine has them on the site in FDF...I'll check that out. These were both installed by shops years ago, but like I said they have been messed with over the years with different subs etc..

Makes total sense. I have a decent fluke meter. I will try this. I THINK that head unit is 4V but I am not sure. I will look it up. Thanks for this. Big help.
Still not sure I understand the crossover and the HP/LP filters and what they actually do. Never really set up a system and the manual for the amp is long gone. Maybe Alpine has them on the site in FDF...I'll check that out. These were both installed by shops years ago, but like I said they have been messed with over the years with different subs etc..
use google to see how crossovers works.

Guys, Pretty much a greenhorn here, but I have 2 systems I would like to try and tune a bit. Is there anything out there on the basics of setting crossovers, filters and gains on an amp and what to use or not use on a head unit? Neither by any means are competition systems etc... but are fine for me... one being a DD and the other a 40 year old muscle car. Nothing super fancy at all. Tahoe with a few year old Pioneer DEH-X8600BH and much older Alpine 4 channel MRV-F340 running the fronts and rears on channel 1&2 and and a LJ 10 W0v3 bridged on 3&4.
The other set up is all Rockford Fosgate. Rounds in the kickpanels, 6x9's in the deck with a large amp (non't have the info on that car as it's still in storage, but for only having those 4 speakers it really cranks and the large trunk gives surprisingly decent bass. Many think it has a small sub. I am thinking of adding maybe a 12" to that car at some point.

Any advice or links on tuning that you guys feel are accurate would be appreciated. I played with the Tahoe last night a bit after replacing the old rotted out JL with a new one and it sounds pretty good, but I am keeping gains sorta low and have no clue where to set crossovers and filters as it's been jacked with over the years so I have no clue where everything "should be" or at least close anyhoo....

Thanks!!!
download a RTA app on your phone grab this mic

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-imm-6-calibrated-measurement-microphone-for-tablets-iphone-ipad-and-android--390-810?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

now download Autosound 2000 in flac or lossless. then come back..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.