sumone
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Midwest
I really wanna install my system, but can't until I do something about:

I. getting through the firewall

II. taking off the kick panels.

I. getting through the firewall

A. Is the firewall as high as the dash and runs the full width of the hood??? is this somewhere where I'd run the power wire through? it's on the passenger side and is as high as the dash is.

B. If I end up having to put a hole in, where and where not should I screw?

C. Are you supposed to wire the power wire high up or down low in the firewall?

II. taking off kick panels

A. anyone have any advice on to take off kick panels that run most of the full length of the door along the bottom. (2000 malibu). I've tried and tried and can't get them up.

basically I can't do anything even though I've waited for this moment to come (all equipment in possession) cause these issues are holding me back.

as far as your firewall goes just drill wherever it is the must convienient. make sure not too puncture any line or what not when drilling through and just make the hole visible from under the hood so when you feed the wire through you can grab it from under the hood. i recommend drilling up high if everything is clear under the hood and you won't hit anything. i drilled too low and had a hell of a time reaching the wire. also use some sort of rubber gromet to run the wire through the firewall so it doesn't rub against bare metal and cut. wish i could help on the kick panels but i'm not familiar with that car.

just like iceteebone says, simply pick the spot that is most convenient for you, keeping an eye out for wiring or other obstructions. when i drilled thru my civic's firewall, i just kinda eyeballed it. mine went in up and behind my glovebox, about 6 inches left of the passenger side's kick panel. in my engine compartment, i had to remove my battery and housing to reach this spot. once the battery was re-installed, the wiring pretty much disappears from view.

i used a 4ga Scosche/EFX wiring kit from Wal Mart. everything went fine, except that the instructions state that you should drill a 5/8" hole in your firewall. luckily, i checked the grommet on a bit index; the thing was only 1/2"! so if you're using that kit, double check the size of the hole you should drill, so you don't have a cable floppin' around loose.

also be sure to use any flex loom that was provided with your kit. if it didn't come with any, you might consider going to Home Depot or some such place, and buying 10ft or so. you can use this to better protect your power cable as it's run thru your engine compartment, and the short distance between it's entry into your interior, and where it feeds behind your kick panels. makes for a nicer look, and prevents pinching and melting a bit more than just bare wire (unless you like all those rainbow colors under your hood: some people do, i guess).

abe m.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.