if you have subs do you need midrange speakers?

tuff57
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
im still trying to learn and im looking at speakers and such for the car that im looking for but if i have subs do you still need midranges to pick up bass or would the subs pick it up? or what do you guys reccomend where do the mids go in the door?

Speakers don't "pick up", they output sound.

Subs are only good for very low frequecies. Mids out put the "middle" frequencies, and tweeters output the high frequencies.

No one speaker will do them all well. Bigger speakers (called drivers) are better for low frequencies, and smaller drivers are better for high frequencies.

Generally, you want a component set of speakers; which will come with a passive crossover, a tweeter and a woofer (mid). You run a pair of RCA cables from your Head Unit to stereo amplifier, then you run a pair of speaker wires from the amplifier to the crossover. Then from the crossover it splits the signal into highs and lows. You run a speaker wire from the crossover to the tweeter and another speaker wire from the crossover for the woofer. Thesse speakers should go in your doors.

Then you run another RCA cable from the HU to the amplifier for the subwoofer, which has a built in crossover (called an active crossover, because it crosses off the frequencies before the amplifer) which will filter out the high frequencies. This is called a Low Pass Filter, which only allows low bass frequencies to reach the subwoofer. Then you run a speaker wire from the sub amplifier to the subwoofer. The subwoofer should be installed in a box made for it. The sub box needs to be made of a very dense rigid material, like 3/4 inch MDF (medium density fiber board), and the internal size, called "volume" is determined by the type of subwoofer. The easiest is to either buy or make a sealed box of the size recommended by the manufacturer of the subwoofer. Usually about 1 -2 cubic feet for each 12" sub.

if you listen to a lot of metal or rock music you will definitly like a pair of midrange speakers. They project the sound of guitars and vocals alot. You will notice a huge difference in the guitar and vocals with mid range speakers because they will get louder and much more efficent. Mid range speakers go pretty cheap too. Alot of em at least. Definitly worth the money!

im trying to do research before i buy a car but im looking at 75-77 84-88 monte carlos 62-64 impalas cars like that i'll probably have to end up making them fit in the doors if theres the room

Those will work fine. They should fit in your doors. Far foward near your feet is the best place.

That is a called a "co-axial" speaker. Meaning it is two speakers, a mid and a tweeter, ontop of each other. That is a very good brand, I have not heard those, but generally co-axial speakers don't sound as good, or handle as much power as a set of component speakers because they do not have an external crossover to seperate the frequencies for the highs and lows. Seperate component speakers is really the same thing except there is an external crossover.

Co-axials are slighlty easier to install, because it's one wire, and one speaker to mount in one hole.

This is what component speakers look like, from the same brand:

4169.jpg

You will always need a tweeter and a midrange together. It doesn't matter if you use component speakers or co-axials, you need a mid AND a tweeter. We also like to add a subwoofer to get more "boom" from the music.

so this is what im going to need im planning on using 2 jl 1w7s for subs an audioque2200d amp to power the subs

ill need midrange (or coaxials would do same thing?) with an amp

for the doors and 2 6x9s for the rear deck with or without amped? and im guessing focal is one of the better brands cause in every post i read they get reccomended

check your pms

focal is good but for the money i think just as good or better can be found for less than focal

wat size are you looking for the fronts and wat kind of power you going to run i would look into a set of comps 6.5's and forget rear fill or use HU power

dont buy cdt from woofer they give you lower grade tweets and the lower grade xovers with the high grade mid and the power specs are based on the mid and the tweet or xover cant handle that much power

that set has the 450 and tw-24 you can get the 48- and teh tw-25 for the same price or maybe 10 bucks more elsewhere

well okay now that i know what a midrange is which one should i be looking at to buy i listen to metal but then i like rap which ones will match well with my subs and have good sq?

so this is what im going to need im planning on using 2 jl 1w7s for subs an audioque2200d amp to power the subsill need midrange (or coaxials would do same thing?) with an amp

for the doors and 2 6x9s for the rear deck with or without amped? and im guessing focal is one of the better brands cause in every post i read they get reccomended
Your still not getting it. Midrange speakers are just part of the system. Coaxials or components have both a mid and a tweeter.

You don't want just a mid.

Focals are great, but expensive, the ones you linked to above are only 4" speakers. That is the bottom of the line, smallest speaker focal makes.

I think you should skip the rear 6x9's all togther, and just spend more on your front speakers.

I recommend 6 1/2" components with an external crossover from any of the brands above. Focal, CDT, Boston Acoustics, etc. Run them off of a small stereo amplifier, not the from the amplifier in the head unit and they will sound great with those subs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.