infinity reference subs???

hiloracerboy84
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
im thinking of "playing" with some cheap subs for the hell of it, then selling them so i was wondering if anyone has used the 12" infinity reference series subs. they seem OK (emphasizing OKay), and for $75 each, ill pick up 4 of em, put them in a ~11cu ft ported box, and try to meter it. im guessing it should be pretty loud...lots of air being moved...but then again, you never know. ill be running them with a jbl1200.1 so 300rms each.

p.s.-how do you think they compare to alpine type r's...seem similar to me imo...

well thanks guys

Far as I know, references are not very loud. Supposedly made solely for quality, and not really spl at all. Haven't heard them myself though.

I also think that people more often compare Infinity Kappa Perfects to Alpine Type R's, not Infinity References to Type R's. The Perfects are the higher-end infinity sub, retail at like $300 but can be had for less than $150 now days. I've got one, but can't really give an accurate opinion of it yet 'cause I only had it hooked up to a 150-watt amp for about a month before taking it out for the winter. I'm gonna be getting another perfect (12" dvc version) and a new amp to give each 300-350 this spring. Not that that really matters though.

Still, I'd be interested in hearing how it turns out. Sounds like a cool idea.

- Dane

Recently, while I was finding myself a subwoofer, I was given the opportunity to test out quite a few sub configurations in my car. I tried 2 of the Reference 12"s in a sealed box, and they were nothing special. I thought 1 Alpine Type-Rs in a ported box sounded better than the 2 References. Know that I love Infinity (the rest of my speakers are Infinity), but I really don't think they did that good a job on their subwoofers. I wasn't impressed. Yeah, they're decent, and I'm sure if you can actually pump 1200 Watts to 4 of them, it's going to be pretty loud, but I'd say there are better options out there.

ok. so the references rnt that great, but how do you guys think 4 kappa perfects would do? ported.

Hmm 4 perfects...11 cu ft ported.....Depending on price...Sounds like the ideal ultra budget moderate SPL setup to me. I say go for it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.