INstall...ground...PLEASE HELP

jkafkazo

hi,

I have a head unit....it is grounded to a screw in the chasis....powered to the harness....rca cables run from it to the mono amp input.....then from the mono amp output rca cables run to my 4 channel amp.....both amps are grounded well....i have a 4 gage power cable running from my battery to a distributer block....then from there two 8 gage power cables to my amps....rca cables are on the other side of the car then the power cable......

NOW MY PROBLEM

i hear a noise in my speakers....its a noise that when you press the gas pedal it goes higher....i read about it in the forum...alot of people seem to have this problem......what is my problem and what can i do about it....i tried everything....like..grounding straight to the battery or grounding everything together...or getting a ground isolator loop....nothing takes it off....

plus, if i play something laud i guess i can deal with it cuz you cant hear it that much but it still ***** ass......now one thing i did is set the volume on my amp low and it took it all away but it was too low...like 30%.....i would rather fix the problem another way.....coult it be an alternator? battery? ....it is an old 1990 jeep wrangler.......PLEASE HELP.... any suggestions will be well appreciated.....THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

search for ground loops and such with the search function.... I know there are around 20 different solutions for this and ways to test it... man I need to make a faq when I get some time

Does your ground or power run anywhere near your ignition system (Distributor, plugs, wires)? Or, are your plug wires really old? Any of these can put out "Noise". Also, most alternators i've seen have a radio suppression device (It's a capacitor) usually hooked up to the back of the alternator. Some ignition systems have a similar device hooked up to the coil or distributor. Also, check the engine's ground strap; ignition noise can feed-back into the charging system if the ground is bad.

Pete; if you know some good diagnostic prociedures, I would also like to see them please; spark-chasing can be a real pain if you don't know where to look.

Good luck with the problem. Later.

well...i think you are right....i checked my ground with a good tester and it was really bad i cant believe the amp even worked before on that screw......anyways....i regrounded everything and but the noise remained....i did a simple test....i turned off the engine and ran my radio.....everything sounds perfect...super clean and nice.....so it must be the alternator that is causing the noise.....THANKS!!!

i'll get an alternator soon and hopefully no more problems...

iwo

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

jkafkazo

jkafkazo
Boston, MA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
jkafkazo