isolator and 2 different batteries?

Hey,

My question was this. I have a regular battery in my truck, that is still good, just not new. I purchased a 250 amp alternator, Kinetik 3800 battery and stinger 200 amp isolator.

I am wondering what will happen when I install the new battery to my existing battery along with the isolator. I don't want the batteries to feed off of each other i.e. fight for power. I believe an isolator will accomplish what i want for now.

I have looked all over the internet and everyone talks about the vehicle being off and listening to music and what the isolator does, BUT NOT WHEN THE VEHICLE IS ON and what the isolator does!! lol!

So, Kinetik 3800 + Stinger Isolator + existing battery + vehicle being on and not off =? lol

Thanks!

when the vehicle is on, the isolator should allow current to flow from your charging system into your secondary battery. In this case, your alternator is charging both of your batteries up to, say, 13.8-14.4 v, and they are not fighting each other.

However, when you turn the vehicle off, your kinetic will probably want to rest at a higher voltage than your stock batt, and in that case they would "fight" each other and in all likelihood the result would be decreased life for at least the kinetic. Hence why you include the isolator in your system, to remove the connection between those two batteries when the vehicle is off.

^^^^ Useless unless you plan on turning it up with the car turned off. Playing while car is turned off is fine but you better keep ur eye on the voltage. Seen many of people blow crap up while playing with car turned off. So in other words just waste the few cents in gas and keep ur car cranked when you are playing.

when the vehicle is on, the isolator should allow current to flow from your charging system into your secondary battery. In this case, your alternator is charging both of your batteries up to, say, 13.8-14.4 v, and they are not fighting each other.
However, when you turn the vehicle off, your kinetic will probably want to rest at a higher voltage than your stock batt, and in that case they would "fight" each other and in all likelihood the result would be decreased life for at least the kinetic. Hence why you include the isolator in your system, to remove the connection between those two batteries when the vehicle is off.
Definitely will be playing with the truck turned on. I plan on buying another kinetic battery, just not one thats 3800. Probably a 1800 to replace my current older battery. Would they still "fight for current? being they are different and not identical.

Definitely will be playing with the truck turned on. I plan on buying another kinetic battery, just not one thats 3800. Probably a 1800 to replace my current older battery. Would they still "fight for current? being they are different and not identical.
same chemistry, same brand - they'll rest at nearly the same voltage and will be just fine without isolation.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.