Kenwood Subwoofer (KFC-W3012DVC) Custom Box

Participant count
  • Participant list

Rat912
10+ year member

Hi guys im fairly new to the installation of car audio and sound systems etc, and would rather a pro install my system however, i do not want to spend a bucket load on a custom subwoofer box. I am looking for a custom box as all the prebuilt ones i have seen all sit to far into the middle of my boot, ie, over the spare tire.

I am looking to make the box myself however, i will need to know what i do and dont try and do when building it, so any help is greatly appreciated. the sub i would like to install is a Kenwood 12in Duel Voice Coil Sub (KFC-W3012DVC) and the max depth i could really have in my boot would be 10 inches. at the base. the length and height really shouldnt be much of a limitation. also, could anyone suggest what power amp i would need to run the sub.

Thanks for any comments and your time

Richard

You'll want an amplifier that does 400 - 500 watts rms @ 2 ohms.

- Wire the sub like this:

1sub2ohms-1.gif

- As for an amplifier, how about the Alpine MRP-M500?

Here's a link: NEW Alpine MRP-M500 1000W Class D Monoblock Amplifier - eBay (item 270538838574 end time Mar-29-10 19:48:40 PDT)

- The enclosure should be simple as well. Kenwood recommends 1.25 cubic feet for that particular sub (after displacement).

A box built to these dimensions should work fine.

Height: 14"

Width: 24"

Depth: 10"

Material: .75" mdf

total volume: 1.38 cubic feet

Any chance that you could recommend a kenwood amp, as i would like to stay all kenwood. also do i need to seal the box with anything, or just glue and screw in the corners, does carpet around the exterior of the box affect perfomance and how would i go about measuring (so there is still 1.38cubic feet) like an angle into the back of the box, so it sits flush with the rear seat.

Any chance that you could recommend a kenwood amp, as i would like to stay all kenwood. also do i need to seal the box with anything, or just glue and screw in the corners, does carpet around the exterior of the box affect perfomance and how would i go about measuring (so there is still 1.38cubic feet) like an angle into the back of the box, so it sits flush with the rear seat.
Yeah, I can point you to a Kenwood amp, but most people don't care much for them. Here ya go: Kenwood KAC-8105D Amp: Mono - Car Amplifiers at Onlinecarstereo.com

I'd like to ask. Why Kenwood? You could buy better equipment for only a little more money.

As far as the enclosure is concerned, just use plenty of wood glue. If you have access to a nail gun, that'd be nice. If you don't have access to a nail gun, you'll want to use some screws. Some clamps are also handy, but most people don't have them. Once the enclosure is constructed and the glue has dried, you can apply silicone along the seems on the interior of the box to help seal things if you need to. If the enclosure is built properly, the silicone shouldn't be necessary. Either way, it won't hurt anything.

I just noticed that I didn't really touch on some of your questions in my last post.

- As a novice, you'll want to use screws or nails at regular intervals on your enclosure (every 3 or 4 inches should be fine).

- Carpeting doesn't effect the performance of an enclosure at all. It's used for aesthetics.

- You'll want to use a tape measure for any and all measuring. The enclosure specs I gave are in inches and it's very basic stuff.

- The total volume of the enclosure I gave is 1.38 cubic feet. After subtracting the displacement of the sub, it should be closer to the 1.25 cubes that Kenwood recommends. Either way, that small amount of space should'nt make a noticeable difference.

- I see no reason why a wedge shaped enclosure would make that much difference to you, because it would only save an inch or two of space. Besides, a standard rectangular enclosure is easier to build.

Kenwood, because they seem to be a fairly reliable brand, and i dont really want to spend a bucket load on a sound system as it is my first full system (split component speakers, head unit, amp and sub). I am looking at autobarn to install the system so would u recommend i leave the box without the hole in it, as i dont own a jigsaw and they could surely do it more accurately with the sub.

Thanks

Kenwood, because they seem to be a fairly reliable brand, and i dont really want to spend a bucket load on a sound system as it is my first full system (split component speakers, head unit, amp and sub). I am looking at autobarn to install the system so would u recommend i leave the box without the hole in it, as i dont own a jigsaw and they could surely do it more accurately with the sub.
Does Carpet Affect the sound if its around the outside of the box,

If i wanted to put say a 75 degree angle (from the base of the box) in the back do i need to allow that in my measurement, as in overall cubic feet?

Thanks
- If you want to buy Kenwood equipment, that's your business. They aren't a very well liked company among serious audio enthusiasts (aside from their head units). Pesonally, I'd think about picking up the Alpine MRP-M500 and a 12" Alpine Type R. They would perform better and cost maybe $40 more than the Kenwood equipment.

- If you don't feel confident in your ability to cut an opening for the sub, let someone else do it. In fact, you could probably have them build the enclosure and save yourself the trouble altogether.

- Once again, carpet is used for aesthetics only. It doesn't change the performance of the enclosure. There are many alternatives to using carpet as well. Some people prefer spray on bed liner, paint or vinyl.

- If you absolutely must have a wedge shaped enclosure (angled on one side) you'll have to adjust the dimensions I gave you. Adding an inch or two here and there and subtracting elsewhere will affect the internal volume of the enclosure. Also, if you build the enclosure exactly to the dimensions I gave, you'll only have to cut 90 degree angles. Cutting anything other than 90 degree angles can be frustrating if you don't have wood working experience.

I was going to build the majority of the box myself as most places want about $250 - $350 (australian dollars) to build one.

Also is there any chance if you get time you could maybe put together a few basic "entry" level set ups that you would reccommend. All i want is a sub, amp, subbox, wiring kit and front 6inch split component speakers. Maybe one from pioneer, alpine and jvc.

That is of course if you dont mind.

Thanks

Richard

and im looking to spend roughly about $700(australian) on the sub, amp, and front splits.

any recommendations on where i could find the best prices on what ever you recommend online that will deliver to australia

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.