Looking for Comps for my Focus (5.25" or 6X8")

birsling
10+ year member

Out of the game too long!
Looking for 2 pair, preferably matched for sound. Good quality, but reasonable pricing. Listen to mostly jazz and progressive instrumental. Let me know if you can comment, or you are selling something that should interest me. I have been out of the game a long time. Still looking for an amp to go to them also. Thanks

First. one set in the front stage should be plenty. A 6x8 speaker is oval and because of its shape will tend to distort at high volumes. I would go with a 5.25 inch comp set. I love my CDT's and I would suggest them to anyone. Also if willing to spend the money look into diamond audio hex or m6 comp sets. They are awesome,

thezeb.com has cdt's

rear fill is pretty much pointless.

Instead I would get some sound deadening material. It will allow your comp set to reach their full potential. I have a cdt hd-62cf and it is more then enough to fill the air space in my nissan pathfinder. Sound deadening brought out the fullness of the comp set and made me forsake rear fill.

I'm using dynamat extreme.

In Diana Krall's "Devil May Car" and other jazz tracks ,The upright bass will cause nasty vibrations in the door panels. I would also recommned getting a "Hood liner" type material and glueing it to the door panel itself. It will help reduce the vibration in the paneling and act as another layer of sound deadening.

Definitely get the 5 1/4 set, if you can fit the 6 1/2 it will be better. You may need some spacer to fit most of the high end components speakers.

I use focal 165v2's and love them, better than my old infinity's. The CDT's are good speakers too. There are so many good brands, only tip i can give you is go to different shops and audition different kind of speakers. If possible bring a CD your very familiar with, make sure the HU's are all set to flat when you play ur songs.

Then try listening to each one of them and see which you like best.

It is better if you could hear them, everyone has their own taste of music and sound,

what will be good to me might not be good to you.

By the way, how much is your budget for them?

Hoping to be no more than $200/pr. I have been looking at a couple of Boston Acoustics. Any opinion? I can get a new pr of 5 1/4 and a pr of 5X7 for $350 shipped. Both are comp sets

I'm trying to remember if the focus has factory tweeters in it or not... if not something that might make installation a little easier for you is looking for a braxial type speaker. Basically it is a component set of speakers with a bracket that holds the tweeter over the midbass driver and lets you aim it.

My favorite of these is the CDT HD63 although the cheapest can be found for around $325 http://www.cdtaudio.com/Braxial.htm

There are many other brands that make speakers of this variety as well.

I recommend listening to as many different speakers as you can eventhough you really won't know how they sound in your car until you install them. Infinity Kappas are pretty decent for good price, polk dB's are good as well, the lower line of CDT audio components can be had for under 200 as well as the focal access components (although I was really dissapointed with lease and would recommend at least the polyglass level of focals).

As Berry said sound deadening is crucial to a good install.

What was your budget for an amp?

For a very low price I would look out for a Kicker ZR460 or zx460 both very underrated amplifiers that are built solid they are discontinued so you would have to look used.

JL amps are great 300/4 would also be more than enough.

Alpine amps are pretty good for a good price too.

No factory tweeter mounts. I am going to go to a smaller chassis 5 channel, possibly to go to a single 10" or a dual 8" later on. What do you think of the Hifonics? I think it is the ZX8000 (maybe it is the 8400)

Boston Acoustics makes a 6x8 plate comprised of a 6.5 and a tweet.

It is the Rally SL80, about $300.

They are new and sound VERY nice. You get the benefits of component, yet the convienence of a plate.

They are 5x7, but should also mount in a 6x8 factory slot, but confirm this from your dealer. Besides, you didn't specify what you are putting this in.

Round speakers (components) will always give you better sound, especially at higher levels When an oval cone flexes, it can not flex evenly, thus adversely effecting sound.

I personally prefer the Pro 6.5 mounted in the kick plates (see Q-logic kick pannel replacements). I use the coaxial mounting method. IMHO it gives a better sound stage. I use the SL80's fo rear fill.

Rear fill is generally not pointless as Barry stated. Especially when listening to your style of music. I like a slight rear presence to add some ambiance to the sound stage. But definately not much. Just enough to barely notice them. Too loud in the rear and the stage sounds like you thre a grenade in the middle. You just have stuff coming from everywhere.

I tend to believe a 10 or 12" sub in the approriate sized (on the large end of the manufacturer's rec. size) sealed enclosure would be nice for your style of music. Since you are looking for accurate, not loud booming base.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.