Looking for help selecting a sub that will work with existing amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

nastety92

Hello all,

My name is Nick and this is one of my first post on this forum. I use to be much more into car audio before kids and a house. I'm looking to put a small system in a 2003 Yukon that I just purchased. To start I would like to just add a 10" sub and keep the Bose setup. I'm trying to find a sub that will work in a sealed enclosure and will work with the amp that I have left over from another vehicle.

The amp is an Alpine MRD-F752. I actually have two of these, one us used and one is brand new in box from around 1999-2000.

Here are the amp's specs.

5 Channel class T Amplifier

RMS power Channels 1-4 at 12V, 20Hz ∼ 20kHz:

4 x 75W @ 4 ohms (0.08% THD)

4 x 100W @ 2 ohms (0.3% THD)

2 x 200W @ 4 ohms bridge (0.3% THD)

RMS power Channel 5 at 12V, 20Hz ∼ 20kHz:

1 x 250W @ 4 ohms (12V - 0.3% THD)

Freq. Response: 20Hz ∼ 20kHz (+0,-1dB)

S/N Ratio: 100dBA (at rated power)

Fuse: 80A

Dimensions: 17.9" x 10.2" x 2.4" (46cm x 26cm x 6cm)

Weight: 18.5 lb. (8.4 kg.)

Thanks for the help,

Nick

I'm looking for more bass than SQ. My budget will be on the lower end, I'd love the sub to be in the $100-250 range. I will also take a pic of the amp rating card when I go home for lunch. It shows much different ratings than what Alpine put out in it's specs.

Thanks again,

Nick

I'm looking for more bass than SQ. My budget will be on the lower end, I'd love the sub to be in the $100-250 range. I will also take a pic of the amp rating card when I go home for lunch. It shows much different ratings than what Alpine put out in it's specs.
Thanks again,

Nick
uhm, low power and small sub and you want loud bass over sound quality... not gonna work well there. If you want it loud, you'll need much bigger subs in such a big car, like two 15s or something. Or a very powerful 10 in a proper efficient ported box. Or a powerful 10 in a much bigger amp.

uhm, low power and small sub and you want loud bass over sound quality... not gonna work well there. If you want it loud, you'll need much bigger subs in such a big car, like two 15s or something. Or a very powerful 10 in a proper efficient ported box. Or a powerful 10 in a much bigger amp.
I guess I should have said that I'm putting in a sub for more bass for my existing Bose system.

I want to go with a 10" because I'm pretty sure I can fit that in the stock location in the rear cargo area.

I guess I should have said that I'm putting in a sub for more bass for my existing Bose system.
I want to go with a 10" because I'm pretty sure I can fit that in the stock location in the rear cargo area.
If you are using the stock subwoofer mounting location, chances are, you'll get even worse performance than your stock sub. Its not a very strong enclosure nor is it very big. Most aftermarket subs need a well designed speaker enclosure to play properly. Its not as simple as plug and play if you want things to sound right.

Jeff. Thank you for taking the time out to try and help me with this. Again I feel like I should explain more than I did the first time. In my Yukon there is a spot for a factory sub but I do not have a sub there. I would like to put a sub there because it allows me to have full access to the cargo area. I plan on building a custom box behind the factory panels. Just trying to hide the sub and amp as much as possible. This truck will be my daily driver and will get fairly dirty from time to time since I do not own a pickup or trailer right now.

My plan was to do a sealed box but if a ported box will be better I would go that route as well.

Jeff. Thank you for taking the time out to try and help me with this. Again I feel like I should explain more than I did the first time. In my Yukon there is a spot for a factory sub but I do not have a sub there. I would like to put a sub there because it allows me to have full access to the cargo area. I plan on building a custom box behind the factory panels. Just trying to hide the sub and amp as much as possible. This truck will be my daily driver and will get fairly dirty from time to time since I do not own a pickup or trailer right now.
My plan was to do a sealed box but if a ported box will be better I would go that route as well.
ported will require a lot more space so i dont think you'll have enough airspace with ported. a single 10 needs 1.25 to 1.5 cubic feet NET which means AFTER accounting for how much space the subs and port takes up. Before accounting those factors in, you are looking at 2cubic feet and up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.