Majorly Owned!?! :(

mrfreshnklean
10+ year member

I hooked my HC18 up in my friends car for testing purposes.

Same amp.

He has two hexagon xplods in a bandpass box with a bazooka 500watt amp.

His system owned my 18.

My main though on this is my box is tooo big.. Its 5.7ft internal before woofer displacement.. (20x20x25 internal) sealed.

What is my air space after the displacement of the HC (couldnt find it)?

Do I need to downsize?

That was my other question.. Is this box big enough to port? it would be pretty shabby after port displacement.

But still, the woofer should have out preformed the xplods.

Not necessarily, obviously in fact. What kind of car or truck.

Those xplods were at their peak while the HC was sealed and starving for power, i could be wrong but maybe a little to large of an enclosure to be sealed. I dont have time to do the math, but I would assume that box would be ideal for porting.

My guess is that amp is not so good for your sub. I don't know the specs but I would assume your woofer is probably 1000+ rms? That bazooka probably only puts out 250. Prefab bandpass generally = crappy sq but loud. With your sealed box you need more power to get as loud as a comparable vented or bandpass. I would guess that between your sealed box and only a tiny amount of power you just weren't able to get the woofer moving at all. Port your box and hook em both up to 1000 watts rms and you will most likely smoke the guy.

Indeed, usually you can't really compare a sealed to a bandpass box in terms of spl. As far as your driver's displacement, I think the HC is .17, which isn't a large chunk of your 5.7 cubes. As far as port displacement, say you wanted 34hz or so, you could use a round port.. Say your port was 4 inches in diameter, for 34 hz it'd be 2.19" deep for your 5.7 cubes. The volume of the port in this case would be .016 cubes, again, not very much. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

RE suggests 6.5
You're right, that's insane, lol. From a 15 to an 18 it jumps up 3 feet.. recommended? Anyway, IMO you'd be perfectly fine with a near -6ft^3 enclosure. If you have the space, money and patience to build another colossal box, go for it, but what are you going to do with the other one?

DUDE, that box is not small. If it has a 5.7 cube internal volume...then after the measily sub displacement (.17 cubes) and port displacement (
NG
.1 displacement for a port is nothing...it'll be more than that...

I was doing high 140's with a 15HC and 800 watts...it doesn't need 1200...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

mrfreshnklean

10+ year member
mrfreshnklean
St. Louis, MO
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from