motor question

The motor is technically the coil and magnet as a system. Just like any other DC motor (but not AC induction motors), it has permanent magnets that set up a static flux field and then a coil that, when you apply current to it, becomes another magnet (electromagnet). The two repel and attract as the DC current from the amplifier alternates from the positive half of the musical waveform to negative. This moves the cone in and out.

Heat will destroy a coil winding but it will also reduce the charge of a neodymium magnet if the temp is too high for too long. I don't believe the same is true for ceramic and cobalt type magnets.

What exactly does a motor consist of? I know theres a magnet envolved somehow lol
It's basically a big horseshoe magnet with the N and S poles very close to each other at the "gap".

Typically you've got a top plate, bottom plate, pole piece + your actual fixed magnet of ceramic or rare earth. As others said, apart from dropping it, baking it in the oven, or trying to over-charge it there's really not much you can do to hurt it.

but it will also reduce the charge of a neodymium magnet if the temp is too high for too long. I don't believe the same is true for ceramic and cobalt type magnets.
Thilo claimed that neodymium magnets losing charge in loudspeaker applications due to heat was a myth. I have been also calling ******** on this and have yet to see anybody offer any proof to the contrary. Rumor, myth, and urban legend only.

That said, you can check magnet supplier websites for data sheets on how much heat degrades fixed magnets of varying materials.

Thilo claimed that neodymium magnets losing charge in loudspeaker applications due to heat was a myth. I have been also calling ******** on this and have yet to see anybody offer any proof to the contrary. Rumor, myth, and urban legend only.
That said, you can check magnet supplier websites for data sheets on how much heat degrades fixed magnets of varying materials.
That's actually great to hear, it always bothered me that it was possible. Thanks offering a different viewpoint.

Yup can't burn-up a motor (magnet side) from regular speaker use, even if it's abusive. Also speakers operate on AC power.

P.S.

Neodymium may lose BL as heat increases (regarding speaker application) but it's not permanent. It's magnetic properties return with respective temperature.

Adire Audio Parthenon is the closest thing to a high-performance transducer which employed neodymium. How ever it never went beyond prototype phase. The (neo) magnets were staged far enough from the coil, to keep heat away.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup can't burn-up a motor (magnet side) from regular speaker use, even if it's abusive. Also speakers operate on AC power.
P.S.

Neodymium may lose BL as heat increases (regarding speaker application) but it's not permanent. It's magnetic properties return with respective temperature.

Adire Audio Parthenon is the closest thing to a high-performance transducer which employed neodymium. How ever it never went beyond prototype phase. The (neo) magnets were staged far enough from the coil, to keep heat away.

Good luck
Toss a magnet in a bonfire and see if it returns to being magnetic after it cools off.

*spoiler alert*

It doesn't //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Toss a magnet in a bonfire and see if it returns to being magnetic after it cools off.

*spoiler alert*

It doesn't //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
You're drunk. Pretty sure my reply references SPEAKER APPLICATIONS. No mention of bon-fires.

When it comes to SPEAKER APPLICATIONS a temporary rise in heat can cause a temporary decrease of magnetic energy. Ceramic magnets seem to perform better than neodymium when exposed to heat.

Google search "adire parthenon"... The creator of it (parthenon with a 24"x 24" baffle) claimed to move as much air as 10 18" subs, accurately.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.