My custom box opinions please

Participant count
  • Participant list

slammdsierra
10+ year member

Ok i have the kicker cvx 10" and it was in a probox behind the seat, this was doing pretty good but i wanted better. This sub needs 1.75 ported and the probox was like half that. I have been wanting to put a box in place of the console not fancy and fiberglass just something effective. This is where i got the idea.

console.jpg

This is what my box builder came up with its 1.75 with a 38.5" port tuned to 30hz i believe.

mybox.jpg

He said this should bang in my single cab, what do yall think the port and sub will be closes to the window/back cab id love some window flex!!

x2, flex just isn't in the cards for the single cvx10, imho. now, if the box is going to sit in the cab just about like that pic, i would see if you can fire both foreward, port at the bottom, or at least put the port there. that will at least give it a little distance to develop the sound before reaching your head. have had luck firing that way.

will u explain ur concept a lil better, are u meaning put the sub forward towards the dash and have the box setting on the port. Are u saying its going to sound like **** with the port being up and it not bouncing off anything? I had a friend that had his 2 12's just sitting on the back seats in his ext cab and it did sound like **** lol, but that was a pre fab box

Whats the difference in the port being up like this or towards the back, also will someone explain hertz to me a lil better lol
Hertz is frequency. If you dont know what frequency means, I dont have the time or patience to go into that subject at this point.

Facing the sub and/or port to the rear, or down, will give the sub/port a loading surface from which to reflect off of. This alters the perceived sound of the sub in some subtle and not so subtle ways. If you have a home stereo with sub, or even a small boombox, test something out... First listen to it with the speaker(s) firing directly at you. Next, fire it away from you, towards a wall or corner of the room. Notice the difference in the sound? This is much like what happens when you alter a speaker's firing direction, place a loading surface in front of it, or otherwise alter your listening position in relation to the speaker.

simple explination of hertz, it how many pulses per seconds, just like rpm's in your car. 30hz means 30waves per second. now, when tuning, you, well the designer, is tuning to what works with the sub, and ideally you want to account for the vehicle, too, but that is rarely done, from what i have seen. actually, i tend to want to tune a little higher for single cabs, as a rule of thumb.

first off i really appreciate ur help! And that makes sense and i thought it was odd he wanted the port up like that but im no expert on boxes lol. The probox was at 44hz and he said most prefabs are around 44hz, the shorter the port the higher the hz, takes more wood and more money to make a longer port. I know this cvx was getting down in the probox!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.