My speaker size dilemma..

dirdybit
10+ year member

So I own a 2000 Saturn SL2. It has 4 stock speakers, all 6.75 (oversized 6.5's). I just picked up some 6.5" Kicker coaxial speakers. Could someone please point me in the right direction? I know I need a speaker mount kit, but most I've seen only have 2 or 3 places for screws when my setup has 4 holes for screws - not sure if this matters. Thanks in advanced to anyone who can help me out!

Alright that sounds easy enough. I will give it a try soon here and let you know how it works for me. I'm pretty new to car audio/car modifications in general.

Alright that sounds easy enough. I will give it a try soon here and let you know how it works for me. I'm pretty new to car audio/car modifications in general.
Add a ring of foam weatherstripping around the front of the mounting ring (around the speaker surround) to bridge the gap between the body panel and the speaker. It'll increase you're midbass and midrange response. Sometimes a lot.

Well I have 6.5's that will fit in the rear speaker placements because of the adapter rings but I also have some Kicker KS525 speakers for the front which I can only assume will definitely not fit. These speakers are only 5 1/4" so I will definitely need to do some modifications in order to mount these things. These seemed like some nice low-end speakers for my highs.

I drive a 2001 SL2. You don't need any adapter rings to fit mass market 6.5" speakers in the front or the rear. With a real 6.75" speaker a 1/2" adapter may be necessary for the basket to clear. Kicker coaxials shouldn't require a spacer.

Put 6.5s in instead of 5.25s and you'll be happier. You want that extra cone area for better bass, even if you have a subwoofer. There's a lot of information online for how to work on these cars, so if you need help I can point you in the right direction.

I drive a 2001 SL2. You don't need any adapter rings to fit mass market 6.5" speakers in the front or the rear. With a real 6.75" speaker a 1/2" adapter may be necessary for the basket to clear. Kicker coaxials shouldn't require a spacer.
Put 6.5s in instead of 5.25s and you'll be happier. You want that extra cone area for better bass, even if you have a subwoofer. There's a lot of information online for how to work on these cars, so if you need help I can point you in the right direction.
Thank you! I do need someone who knows about this vehicle to help me out quite often it seems and I can never seem to find answers. Would you have any suggestions for 6.5" speakers? These were a gift, I received two 6.5's and two 5.25's and I figured I'd throw the 5.25's in the front for now, but I could sell them and upgrade for sure.

It not the size of the speaker but the sound it produces....

Anyways you could pay someone to make baffles for you if you don't feel the need to attempt to make them. They do have plenty of baffles you can buy online but, they are all plastic.

It not the size of the speaker but the sound it produces....

Anyways you could pay someone to make baffles for you if you don't feel the need to attempt to make them. They do have plenty of baffles you can buy online but, they are all plastic.
When the factory opening accepts a larger speaker, the smart thing to do is to get the right size speaker.

I got the rear 6.5" speakers in just fine today with the help of my brother, which leads me to assume the front speakers would be just as easy with 6.5's. So I might as well pick up some 6.5's over these 5.25's anyway. My only confusion still is why these Kicker KS525 speakers are more expensive than the Kicker DS60 speakers...? Would you say this is because of quality, design, how new it is? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.