Need advice on a "somewhat soft" sub installation

sumone
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Midwest
Contrary to what you might think when getting subs in [for someone

My main choice of music is rap/hip hop but I also listen to jazz, classical, r&b, and generally anything I think sounds good. So I would be looking for the sub to "hit" when needed [rap/hiphop/r&b/etc] but is not truly necessary.

Right now, I have a simple car stereo system: basic cd head unit @ 50W x 4, 4x6s in the door, and 6x9s in the rear. I just got this car about 2 weeks ago, and put those speakers in last week.

I would like the sub(s) to go loud, but not to the point where I can be heard a block away. I place fidelity over loudness. I wouldn't even mind if the sub ran off of the head unit's built in amp [if that's possible???, but without taking from the other speakers]

A friend told me he could "hook me up" with a system for around $600 - but the system he was talking about is the type where it's un-necessarily loud and "too much" (lol) bass.

Also, I don't want to attract a lot of attention to myself...in my neighborhood...people get jacked every other day.

On a scale from 1-10 on how well I know what I'm talking about, I'm at about a 4. Know a little bit about electronics hear and there, but not that much. I can definitely say that I wouldn't want something louder than 300-400 watts and don't want to have to sacrifice a lot [like space and comfortability] just to get something decent-sounding put in.

So, what kind of recommendations do you guys have? I'm placing a $400 or so budget on this - thanks.

For what you're looking for I have to recommend a JL audio 10W3 sub (just one) in a sealed box (.6 cu.ft.) and a 200-300 watt kx kicker amplifier. Its simple and sweet plus it will give you amazing sound quality and has the bass when you want it. They are real efficient speakers so they don't need a million watts. Since its only one it won't take up much room and it will fill that "void" nicely. You can get this set up for less than $500.00 bucks. Amp on Ebay Get the JL at a dealer, JL won't honor any warranty with Internet sales.

No clue if it would suit you, but check into an infinity basslink. If all you want is some low end extension, it'd be a simple and affordable addition.

Also you might want to look at http://www.edesignaudio.com at the O series. They can be put into a small sealed box and have great sound quality and might just be what your looking for. The 10 or the 12 doesnt really need a large box at all. And for an amp you might want something around the 400-500 watt range or less depending on the size of the box you can muster.

One thing I forgot to mention was, should I try to install this myself? I had to have someone install my speakers, and as I understand now, is a relatively easy task...

Yes, this is a total DIY hobby.

Helps to know your install should any problems ever arise you'll know what is where etc..not to mention you'll appreciate things much more and be that much more prepared for future audio installs.

If you have any questions regarding the basics, search the forums. If all fails, make a post with your situation, or PM me.

Actually if I were you I would at least TRY and do it yourself. I think the hardest part for you would be running the amplifier wiring kit. That is, IMO the hardest thing about car audio, running the wiring amp wiring kits. In some cars, particularly older cars where there isnt much of anything under the dash as was the case in my 1980 Olds Cutlass, then its fairly easy. But if you have a newer car then there is whole lots of stuff you have to work the wires around in underneath the dash. But if you take your time then it should still be fairly easy. Oh yea and a 6 pack of Beer helps alot when running wire kits. Or anything that helps soothes nerves.

Also, the rear speakers that were in the car when I bought the car were disconnected - which I found out when I went to best buy to buy some 6x9s. I had thought they were just broken. The wire that came from the dash to the trunk was there, the speaker was there, but just no connection. So one guy just told me to go to RadioShack and get "speaker connectors". Only had a slight idea of what I was looking for as he couldn't tell me the "technical" name, cause I doubt I'd find something labeled "speaker connectors". Got something called Quick-Disconnects; figured one end of it went to the speaker, but couldn't figure out how to get the other end to the radio's wire...so I just went ahead and bought some new ones. The funny thing is, what was in there wasn't even factory- they were Pioneers...

I made the same mistake again by buying some speakers for the door, because I just thought they sounded badly - Like the bass was like cardboard. Went back to best buy, found some that sounded ok to me, had them install it; the guy took out the old ones, and they were the EXACT same ones, but the newer ones went 20Watts higher. After he installed those, it sounded EXACTLY like the ones that were already in there. Cause it's a pretty different sound than how I heard it in the store. In the store, it sounded like they got down to around 60-70hz, but in the car, they sounded like they got down to around 80-90hz. I'm thinking maybe there's a crossover in there somewhere, but don't wanna go back to Best Buy just to have them tell me whether one's in there or not and then leave.

I did pick up a book from the library though [what an amateur, right...] cause I really wanna get into this car audio scene. the thing is, I only have my car to experiment on [a 2000 Malibu], have only had it about 2 weeks, it's my first car, and I just got my license not too long before I got this car; so I really don't wanna mess anything up [although I do realize experience is the key to learning]

Also, I'm pretty alone in trying to get all this done. Don't really have any "car people" in the family except the uncles who think they can fix anything. That's why I resorted to best buy when I got the speakers - I just said, I have $250 to spend on some speakers for the front and back, tell me what to buy....

How would 8''s sound compared to 10s/12s. There's the obvious; but are they just not even worth it so I should just leave them out the picture?

Hmm...you could go for a pair of RE 8's I guess. Dont take large boxes at all and with a small ported box they would get pretty loud and have good sound quality. Not too sure on power handling though. Allthough a respected member of out forum, mister rangerman I think it was, or was it loyd....anyway, they burped these babies at over 2000 watts in a review I read once and allthough they made some pretty aweful sounds from bottoming out, they never let loose and played just as good as before after being severaly abused. Dam good little subs if ya ask me.

Okay, I've looked at the basslink device and some user reviews, and am pretty tempted to Buy-it-Now off e-Bay [~$200] on impulse. Looks like a pretty good all-in-one kind of thing that I'm looking for without dealing with big boxes, separate amps, etc. with the compromise being the not up-to-par rap/hip hop response you get from it. However, I'm still not confident I'd be able to install it myself. I would feel more comfortable just watching someone else do it for me, and learning from that.

So if I decided to go with the basslink, I have two choices:

1. buy it off ebay $200, and somehow find out how to get installed by someone...

2. buy it from circuit city $330, and let them get it working/install it for some extra money + $75 warranty.

The basslink already has an amp to it, all you would need is a wiring kit. Its actually not hard to hook up a sub. Ive personally never done it (my friend did mine) Im gonna try to do the next one myself. Its just a matter of running wire from the battery, finding a ground, some RCA cables and some speaker wire. Im sure you would be able to find instructions somewhere on here. Where in Illinois are you? Chicago?

As for the basslink, if you feel better getting it from an actual store: - 194.99

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=infbasslink&svbname=309

Another ebay: - 173.50

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3068283383&category=32822

The reason I suggested the basslink is the fact that it does have an amplifier already coupled with the 10" sub. One thing I can suggest is for you not to get anything on impulse, if you feel you can find better, go ahead and look around. If you feel the basslink will not be up to snuff for what you want, you can no doubt find something more suiting for $400..I'm sure someone can suggest a more appropriate setup. You should try to go demo a basslink in a store some where...although not the most accurate way to hear something, it will atleast give you an idea of its overall output.

Installation would be easy, to simply it a bit more:

-Run a set of RCAs from the back of your head unit to it

if you don't have RCAs it comes with a 19 foot speaker line to attach directly to your head unit

-Run a remote wire from the back of your head unit (18+ gauge is fine)

-Run an 8 gauge power wire from your battery to it, place 30 amp fuse some where in the line.

-Run a short-as-possible(few feet) 8 gauge ground wire to a bare metal location, such as a taillight bolt...rear seat bolt...or drill your own in the floor wherever you are placing it.

-Optional, but you can run the remote from the basslink to the front..under your dash or wherever you choose to have the little gadget.

This kit would work, and you wouldn't even need half the junk in it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3068342902&category=32808

And not to turn this into a sales pitch in the least, but I have a mtx amp, around 400 watts give or take a few, solid amp that I'd get rid of cheap since I don't use it. That and a decent 10 or 12 could get you where you want to be.

installation is easy bro. just do it urself. If i were u i wouldnt get the basslink. Id get a elemental design Kx 10 or 12". Itll be perfect, only 75 for the 10" and 85 for the 12". http://www.edesignaudio.com/ep2/10kx.htm they even have a sale for a pair of them for 135 for the 10's or 150 for the 12's. then u could get a profile amp for only 85 bucks http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3068127774&category=18797 that would put out 300 watts so each Kx would get its RMS.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.