Need Advice [Starter System Under 1200]

Participant count
  • Participant list

gooddoer

I am looking for advice on what to purchase. I have bought my son a 2012 Ford Focus SEL 4 Door Car as a Christmas Gift and need help with buying a audio system for the car. Right now it has the factory system [the worst sound system I have heard in years] and I would prefer to keep the factory head unit as I plan on buying my son a Android Based Head Unit with touch screen in the future. All I am looking for is a audio system he can build on. products that will not need to be thrown away if he upgrades.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I dont know many of the current manufacturers and i noticed some of the ones I used to be familiar with 20 + years ago are no longer very good quality.

Having spent many years with a car audio hobby and financially illiterate wife (ex) - I have a strong preference when it comes to simple, effective, affordable set up.

Get a good 4 ch, a good pair of front speakers - components preferably, a good sub, a well designed and built box.

As for specific equipment, there are tons of good options, as long as you get something from a respected brand and it's tuned correctly your odds of having problems in the near future will be very unlikely. Ten years of generally crap gear (and another 10 of decent quality stuff) -- the only speaker I ever blew was a Pyramid 10 that I plugged directly into the wall for entertainment.

The PPI P1000.4 has always looked like a great centerpiece to me. More than enough power to the front two channels with nearly 500w rms available to run a sub at 4 ohms. And only $175. One minor drawback is it doesn't have high level inputs so you'd need an LOC temporarily to use the stock HU.

There are tons of good components in the $150 range -- with your budget $200-250 wouldn't be a big hit. CDT, Polk, Image Dynamics etc. Check out woofersetc.com. Anything in that $150+ range is going to be at least "good".

For a sub -- soundqubed always comes to mind. An HDS310 or 312 would be

That leaves you plenty for box design/construction, wiring, and probably installation too if you're paying to have it done and maybe enough left over for the HU too.

Seriously. No one recommended a 4 gauge install? Here's your answer:

Have a 4 awg wire installed from the battery to prospective amp.

Buy a startup kit (pioneer or kenwood).

That's about it. Your son can do the rest if he's into being spoiled.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.