Need help with wiring please!

KK07
10+ year member

woop woop
Canada
Hi, within the next couple of days I'll be ordering a couple of Kicker CompVR 03CVR124 12" subs. I'm just wondering how I should be wiring these subs with my Kenwood KAC-929 1000w amplifier? Here are specs for the amp and the subs:

Two-channel power amplifiers such as the 150 watt x 2 channel KAC-929 2-Channel Power Amplifier are hard to beat.The bridged rating of this amp is 460 watts and the maximum output rating is 1000 watts. Included Features are tri-mode operation, a variable low-pass crossover, selectable bass boost, a dynamic expander, and 2-ohm stability. Also included are speaker level inputs, speaker relay protection circuitry, and a Quiet Turn-On circuit.
- GENERAL FEATURES Ground Isolation Circuit

- Low-Pass Electronic Crossover

- Power MOSFET Switching Power Supply

- Stereo, Mono, or Tri-Mode Operation

- Variable Low-Pass Electronic Crossover: 50Hz - 200Hz, 18dB per Octave

POWER RATINGS

- Bridged Power Output at 14.4V (1kHz, 0.8% THD): 460 Watts x 1

- Maximum Output Power: 1000 Watts

- Power Output at 2 Ohms, at 14.4V (1kHz, 0.8% THD): 230 Watts x 2

- Power Output at 4 Ohms, at 14.4V (20Hz-20kHz, 0.08% THD): 150 Watts x 2 AUDIO FEATURES

- Quiet Turn-On

- RCA Audio Inputs: Gold-Plated

- Speaker Connectors: Gold-Plated, Screw-Type

- Speaker Level Input Terminals

- Speaker Relay Protection POWER SUPPLY FEATURES

- 2-Ohm Stable

- Black Powder-Coated Top Cover: with Sandblast Finish

- Copper EE-Core Power Transformer

- Large Aluminum ID Badge

- Noise Supression Filter: 3

- Power Indicator: Blue

- Power Input Terminals: Gold-Plated, Large Screw-Type

- Secondary Capacitors: 2 Large AMPLIFIER FEATURES

- 2 or 1 Channels of Amplification

- Cooling Fan
and the Kicker CompVR's:

Subwoofer Specifications
* Size: 12 inch

* Rec. Sealed Box Dims: 1.00 - 4.60 cu.ft.

* Rec. Ported Box Dims: 1.75 - 2.25 cu.ft.

* Free Air Usage: not recommended

* Sensitivity: 86.4 dB

* Frequency Response: 25-500 Hz

* Recommended RMS Power: 400W

* Peak Power Handling: 800W

* Impedance: dual 4 ohms
If I understand this correctly, I should wire each sub to a seperate channel right? And this would cause a final load of 2 ohms resulting in 230 watts of power going into each sub? I've read on here about people being able to wire in parallel and end up with a 1 ohm load even though their amps arent listed as stable 1 ohm. Would that be possible with my amp? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Your correct about having to wire them 230x2. However if you got 2 dual 2ohm subwoofers you could wire them 460x1 @4ohms. And thats a decent amp, it can't do 1 ohm though. Alpine makes dual 2ohm type Rs. I'd say get w3s if you can, there worth the $.

Hey, I'm getting them from sounddomain but hoping they'll accept my price match for $75 from ikesound.com.

and Indosia - I can get either the dual 2 ohm or dual 4 ohm, I just read that dual 4 ohm would be better in the long run since they had more wiring options. If I did get the dual 2 ohm and I wired them to 460 x 1 @ 4 ohms, wouldnt it still be a total of 230 going into each sub?

Thanks!

What would briding the amp do though? Like how much total power would the amp put out for each sub in the end?

460x1 according to the post before mine... so 230 per sub. I just always prefer to run subs mono and from the same amp channels... it aleviates any phase issues and I find it sounds tighter. (could be all in my head though... although I doubt it since I know way more than i should about sound)

Wait no i was WRONG, with 2 dual 4 ohm woofers you can wire them at 4 ohms mono 460x1. GET THE DUAL 4 ohm subs. WIre each subs coils together in series so that you have 2 8 ohm subs. Then wire them to the amp in paralell to achive a 4ohm mono load. SOrry for confusion. Either way the amp will put out 460 watts. If you hook one up to each channel it would be in stereo, and you want mono(bridged) for bass so both subs will work together as one.

Hi, okay so I get the dual 4 ohm subs and I wire it like this?:

DVC_Series_2.gif

Sorry, I'm still very new to this, I know it can get annoying!

I just thought I'd be happy with Kickers, I've read a lot of good things about them and they were within my budget. What kind of subwoofers would you recommend within my price range and my amp power?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.