New guy here, Have I made any mistakes?

Participant count
  • Participant list
'92 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab

Goal: Crystal clear mids and highs, with a strong full base.

I have already purchased all equipment, enclosures and kick panels. Then I discovered this site.

All electronics are still boxed / unopened. I would very much appreciate any help / ideas from those that know better.

It's not to late to replace any of this equipment as long as the prices are fairly close.

Head unit: Kenwood excelon KDC-X700

Subwoofers: (2) Kenwood excelon KFC-XW120

- enclosure provides .95 cu. Ft. Per sub.

Front speakers: Infinity REF-6520cx 6.5 components

Rear speakers: Infinity REF-9622ix 6x9's

Amp: Kenwood 5 channel X801-5

fdb4f679-9d18-4b2c-98f2-136c3a4ef775_zpscvn3vyqy.jpg

20160704_112245_zpsqx1msztg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to need more power...more watts...bigger amps..what you got won't get that loud.

Or...bridge the 4 into 2 channels...150 per side...run the rears off the head unit,then 500 to subs.

Your probably going to want more power to the subs.

Going to need more power...more watts...bigger amps..what you got won't get that loud.Or...bridge the 4 into 2 channels...150 per side...run the rears off the head unit,then 500 to subs.

Your probably going to want more power to the subs.
Thanks for the response. So it sounds like the 5 channel amp is where I went wrong. I had planned to run the Subs at 2ohm (500 x 1). The Components and 6x9's are already at 3ohms (50 x 4 @ 2ohms)...I have to admit the last time I put a stereo together I don't remember 5 channel amps even being an option, I liked the idea of running everything off that one tiny amp...LOL. I may have to shop something other than Kenwood as it appears they just combined they're 4 channel and they're Mono amp into a single 5 channel.

Question: With the subs wired in series at 2 ohms, do they evenly split the amps 500w x 1 so that they both are getting about 250w?? I apologize now if this is as obvious as it seems to be..

So you want clean mids and highs. With good bass as well ? So my question is , what type of music do you listen to ? Also have you or do you plan to do a big 3 kit and at least a second battery ? I have a 97. And had a 95 and 99 Chevy trucks and Tahoe to stock electrical systems are crap you will need to do one or both of these on any system upgrade over 500 watts

So you want clean mids and highs. With good bass as well ? So my question is , what type of music do you listen to ? Also have you or do you plan to do a big 3 kit and at least a second battery ? I have a 97. And had a 95 and 99 Chevy trucks and Tahoe to stock electrical systems are crap you will need to do one or both of these on any system upgrade over 500 watts
That's just sad. My stock electrical is running 2400 above 14v full tilt

That's just sad. My stock electrical is running 2400 above 14v full tilt
It is. I don't know what's up with the trucks. But all the Chevy and gmc trucks I've had needed electrical upgrades I remember burning my alt up in my s10 on a punch 500a2 amp bridged They just aren't built for more than stock equipment

decent gear. you could make it sound good.. typically most components like around 100 per side to get loud without introducing a ton of distortion.. IF i have to make a change Id dump the 6x9s and the amp and the 6.5 comps for these..

Kappa 60.11CS - Infinity 6.5" 2-Way Kappa Series Component Car Speakers

the excelon is actually a decent amp but you can do better for 300 or so..

FD 2200 - ARC Audio 2 Channel 370 Watt Amplifier pretty good amp.feedback circuit better sounding than any budget amp..

another good option.

Dark Blue 5 - Helix 5 Ch 700 Watt Amplifier with digital woofer channel

bridge the front channels.

i can honestly say the infinity kappas are very nice for the money..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ZO6Coop

ZO6Coop
Spokane Valley, WA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Papermaker85