NVX vs CT vs Kicker

FuelEmpire

CarAudio.com Recruit
I know this is a little apples to oranges, but looking for some opinions.

My amp is the Kicker CXA1800.1. It's 1800w RMS and 3600w peak @ 2ohms. I don't have a box yet but it will either be a dual ported 10" or dual ported 12" depending on which sub I go with.

I was originally aiming for two Kicker 42CWQ122. But outside of ebay I can only find the 1 for sale thats in stock at amazon. These are last years models. The power requirements on the updated version doesn't match my amp as well.

Then I got looking at my old thread here. As much as I'd love to stick with all one brand, I'm seeing you guys speak very highly of NVX. So, I found these NVX VCW102v3 subs that seem to align pretty decent with my amp's power, but not perfectly.

Finally, the CT Sounds Tropo XL 12. The power matchup is perfect, and being 12s they should move more air.

What would you do?

Matching brands can look nice, but usually doesn't give you the best bang for buck. Lots of companies make great amps and shitty subs or don't make subs at all and vice versa. You really limit your choices by matching, but at the end of the day, it's your money, so buy what you want.

Last edited:
That's true. The matching brands is just a bonus. There's no other speaker I've found that matches specs to my amp exactly, and being the same brand it seems like a safe choice. 😁

I would have went with two of those NVX 12's out of those three choices; two of them for not all that much more than one of those Kicker 12. I'm sure the Kicker sub will work decent enough, I like the cheaper CVR model, so I'm betting the Comp Q can perform pretty good in a quality box, but those NVX look darn good for the money. To me though, I can get more for my money getting something other than that Kicker, and I actually like the Kicker brand so I'm not even crapping on them, just my take on it. But it'll probably work pretty good for you.

I purchased an NVX 12 for a custom build I'm working on. I'll let you all know how I feel about it when I'm done. So far, it's extremely well built and the specs are very impressive for the cost.

I would have went with two of those NVX 12's out of those three choices; two of them for not all that much more than one of those Kicker 12. I'm sure the Kicker sub will work decent enough, I like the cheaper CVR model, so I'm betting the Comp Q can perform pretty good in a quality box, but those NVX look darn good for the money. To me though, I can get more for my money getting something other than that Kicker, and I actually like the Kicker brand so I'm not even crapping on them, just my take on it. But it'll probably work pretty good for you.
Indeed. Everyone here speaks very highly of NVX. It was tempting but the kickers just look higher quality to me. Plus nobody was answering and I wasn't 100% sure on the specs vs my amp. I'm excited to get my box next and get these in my bronco. Thanks everyone! 😀

I purchased an NVX 12 for a custom build I'm working on. I'll let you all know how I feel about it when I'm done. So far, it's extremely well built and the specs are very impressive for the cost.
Ive used their door speakers, a VCW 12, My gilfriend currently is using a VSW10. Good products. Only issue I had with my VCW was in a pretty small ported box it would always manage to bottom out super easily. Make sure you have that subsonic filter set right

Took good power in a sealed box and sounded really good too, never bottomed out in that box. You wont be dissapointed

Last edited:
Ive used their door speakers, a VCW 12, My gilfriend currently is using a VSW10. Good products. Only issue I had with my VCW was in a pretty small ported box it would always manage to bottom out super easily. Make sure you have that subsonic filter set right

Took good power in a sealed box and sounded really good too, never bottomed out in that box. You wont be dissapointed

I was looking at their door speakers, but the crossovers look like they are low quality. Which door speakers did you have and how did you like them?

I was looking at their door speakers, but the crossovers look like they are low quality. Which door speakers did you have and how did you like them?
Pretty sure it was the V series. Had a 6x8 coaxial set in the doors and my rear deck of my Mustang. All 4 on a JP84 amp.

For an $80 set of speakers they sounded fantastic. Better than a $160 component set from Kicker. Only issue was that the high end felt like it was lacking but that's could just be the fact that not only were they silk dome tweeters, they were mounted super low in the door panels so the tweeters were far from on axis. I should've went for the component set.

I've heard many good things about the X series components too. Pretty sure they are on sale at Sonic Electronix for like $150 rn

My V series comps sound good. Crossover isn’t any cheaper than other sets in the under $150 category. Better than inline crossovers that Alpine and Morel use on their budget comps.

I haven’t heard the Strato comps but the Meso are great I would pick them out of the three.
I've been eyeballing those Strato Comps for awhile. I had the Meso Coaxial and while I never got to hear it cause I couldn't get the door speaker wiring in my truck to work, they looked very beefy.

The push terminals are a big deal for me and what is making me want them so bad. I ****** hate spade terminals and the weak ass cardboard time material they are always mounted to. I've mangled many of them trying to get the spade terminals off. Vs just pushing in and feeding the bare wire in and done.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...