Old model Alternator upgrade

Participant count
  • Participant list
I'm wanting to upgrade the alternator in my 78 Monte Carlo, I believe it's the SI model alternators. Can I just drop in a newer model used one I find (ad244) or will there be some customizing needed to be done? So far I just see people rebuilding the old ones which I'd rather not do.
Should be a common enough case size, (10SI if google is right). Why buy used over a rebuild? How much current do you need from it?

We sell direct replacements for that case, a newer AD244 case has different mounting feet and will not fit without modification. PM me if you'd like a quote on a HO alt

I plan on running about 2000 runs. I wanted to go used to try and save some money. Used on a newer alt not the same style old one
The catch with used is you don't know what it has been through already so it might last a month or a few years. When your alternator fails it's a pain in the arse wherever you wind up stuck when it happens (late for work, or whatever), and it'll put a hurting on your battery. Personally if it weren't just a very temporary measure that's one part I'd never buy used. Naught for nothing, but saving money and having adequate electrical to run a 2K amp probably doesn't go together, particularly when the factory alternator is rated 60A.

I just don't see a way out of this for much under 400$ for you. You'll pay now or you'll pay later.

Out of curiosity which amp? What subs? What impedance do you plan to run? What kind of music do you like and how loud do you listen?

The catch with used is you don't know what it has been through already so it might last a month or a few years. When your alternator fails it's a pain in the arse wherever you wind up stuck when it happens (late for work, or whatever), and it'll put a hurting on your battery. Personally if it weren't just a very temporary measure that's one part I'd never buy used. Naught for nothing, but saving money and having adequate electrical to run a 2K amp probably doesn't go together, particularly when the factory alternator is rated 60A.
I just don't see a way out of this for much under 400$ for you. You'll pay now or you'll pay later.

Out of curiosity which amp? What subs? What impedance do you plan to run? What kind of music do you like and how loud do you listen?
Alright I got u I'll forget about used, thanks.

I haven't decided between a TS1.8k and a scv2000. I have both sitting around waiting to be used. Subs are 2 SA8 v3 dual 4s. I'll be listening to mostly old school and oldies, sometimes hip hop. I will listen to volume at halfway or maybe a little louder.

Alright I got u I'll forget about used, thanks.I haven't decided between a TS1.8k and a scv2000. I have both sitting around waiting to be used. Subs are 2 SA8 v3 dual 4s. I'll be listening to mostly old school and oldies, sometimes hip hop. I will listen to volume at halfway or maybe a little louder.
I saw some pretty chrome ones in that case at various online parts stores that claim a little over 100A, assuming you have a good quality battery under the hood that'll probably get you by.

I saw some pretty chrome ones in that case at various online parts stores that claim a little over 100A, assuming you have a good quality battery under the hood that'll probably get you by.
Not yet, currently I have a duralast gold under. was thinking of buying a battery at the stereo shop when I take the car in unless I find a good deal elsewhere

Not yet, currently I have a duralast gold under. was thinking of buying a battery at the stereo shop when I take the car in unless I find a good deal elsewhere

Check out the Bosch branded "premium AGM" battery at Pep Boys. 4 year warranty is nothing to sneeze at and it seems a solid AGM.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.