Painting My Box ??

brandontw
10+ year member

just some guy
Reno, NV
I just built a box for a couple Cerwin Vega 12D4's and im pretty happy with the way it turned out but now I am contemplating covering it. I think i would like to just paint it flat black instead of carpeting it, is it ok to do this? I plan on just using some spray primer and then some spray paint.

Will the spray paint soak into the MDF too much and make it mushy like water does? And i want to make the box water resistant cause my trunk gets a lot of use; will lots of primer and paint do this?

Any advice would be appreciated. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/help.gif.cee8f684da1ba626487a8bc51152e1ec.gif :up2someth

Painting's fine. Make sure the enclosure is perfectly smooth--use Bondo or wood filler & sand smooth:

493978_84_full.jpg

I chose bedliner or my enclosure's finish (available at WalMar):

493978_89_full.jpg

493978_103_full.jpg

493978_123_full.jpg

With bedliner, you're essentially coating the enclosure with plastic. Moisture won't penetrate the MDF. Neither will paint, FYI. I sprayed black paint for a lot of the non-surface areas:

493978_88_full.jpg

That box looks nice, makes me want to change what i'm doing to mine.

I have one coat of Stone Creations paint on, but the MDF is soaking it up a bit. I think after 2 coats it'll be fine though.

Thanks for the idea! thats exactly what i wanted. Can i primer before i coat it or should i just throw it right on the mdf? and is it paintable

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.