Passive crossover help

Participant count
  • Participant list

Backporch

Nj
I have a 96 BMW that had a bad factory amp. Didn't realize until I replaced just about everything else.

My front speakers are two factory speakers in each door and a woofer in the foot area.I replaced only the foot well speaker with a 6" two way speaker.

I realized that the factory amp separated the signal to the speakers so I picked up two 3way passive crossovers. Sound is OK but very low up front and i need to direct the signal mostly up front using the fade control to balance the volume level between front and back. II guess the passive crossovers are killing the signal and maybe I need a small amp prior to the crossovers?? Any suggestions.

The entire system is relatively low budget pioneer head unit kicker 10" sub w/sound ordinance amp and Kenwood basic speakers throughout. It is a convertible so rear speakers are smaller.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Do you have an aftermarket head unit?

put in a new radio if you don't have one , and get a 4 channel amp to drive the speakers

It will sound decently good with the 10" you have in back

Hi Tymoto21

This is what I have installed:

Pioneer DEH-X6700BT Receiver

Kenwood KFC-1365S 5 1/4 front speakers impedance: 4 ohms

BMW factory mid and tweeter in each door

Kenwood KFC-1065S 4" rear speakers impedance: 4 ohms

Kicker 40CWD82 10" sub

Sound Ordnance™ M-2100

2-channel car amplifier — 75 watts RMS x 2

Would it make sense to boost all four channels front and rear, L+R or just concentrate on a 2 channel amplifier and boost prior to the crossovers?

Specs for the crossover is below.

3-Way Passive Crossover NetworkGold Plated Screw Terminals250 Watts RMS/500 Watts PeakHigh Grade Polymer CapacitorsFerrite and Air Cooled Spools

Woofer Frequency: 20Hz-700Hz

Midrange Frequency: 500Hz-3.5kHz

Tweeter Frequency: 4.5kHz-20kHz12dB

per Octave SlopeEnclosed ABS CabinetQuantity: 1 Piece

Still hoping for a response to the use of a pre crossover two channel amp as a possible solution or whatever would be best practice. The 4 channel amp would still result in animbalance between from and rear output?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.