Power draw issues killing my battery and my happiness.

Trappin_Ron

CarAudio.com Newbie
My current setup is 1600 watts for the subs and 1000 watts for the mids and highs in a 4x configuration. 2010 Hyundai accent gls with upgraded alternator power wire and battery ground.

To start off I have been running my sub setup and just stock aftermarket head unit power for the mids and highs for about 4 1/2 months now with not one issue. I finally decided its time to upgrade the mids and highs setup that I was running. Went ahead and picked up a skar RP-150.4ab and installed it. Install went well with no problems AT FIRST the same day I finished I went on a cruise so I could hear my new setup. I run a voltage meter to the battery and the voltage was all over the place. All these numbers are based on playing close to max volume.
While driving/ accelerating-12v
While driving no throttle-11ish volts
At idle- 10volts
After I came home I left the car overnight and came back out the next morning to go to work and it would not start volts were sitting at 9.5 ish and dipping after each crank. Fast forward a few days I thought I had fixed the problem and figured it was a charging issue and installed a Big 3 upgrade restoring volts while driving back to 14v while driving and the car starting right up. Once again let the car sit overnight and went to start it and it was not even picking volts up this time. Went to jump it as I had done previously but was too scared to take it to work and be stranded there yet another day so I left it and took another vehicle. I now was under the assumption that the amps were drawing power while the car was off so I unplugged the power and ground wires from the amp and the ones touching the battery. Jumped the car once again and drove around a few miles to restore volts back up. Left the car sitting at 12.2 volts at 7:30pm after one hour went out to check the number real quick and it was reading 10.7volts. Came back out 30 min later at 8:50 and it was reading 8.2 volts and was dropping 0.01 volts every 8 seconds ish. I am now basically running a stock car with a pair of extra floodlights that remain off unless a switch is turned. What is drawing power from the battery killing it in less than an hour and a half ???

I had my truck do that once,and ended up being an expensive lesson. I had 3 optimus red top batteries in it. Swapped the batteries out to new, Killed those overnight and my 275 amp alt. Put one my 255 amp alts on, and bought new batteries Orileys AGM and never had an issue. The issue was a bad run of Optimus Batteries. expensive lesson.

Recently.. My 08 HHR would start hard like a double turn and fire off. Two days sitting Id go start it, and the batteries would die, after a full charge before installing.Checked voltage when running at alt line to battery.Seemed fine 14.2v running. Checked sitting afterwards .. 12.4v ? Ok should be good. Next morning. it wouldnt even turn over. Deader than a door nail. Troubled it to a bad starter changed and no drainage issues and has done fine past 3 months.

I also had an issue with a Honda Civic Hatch. jumped and ran. turned off for an hour and wouldnt start back up. Drained over night ect after several attempts. Figured it was alternator. Went to orileys got a new one . Next day same issue. Took alt back. they tested as a failure, gave me another and I had them test it and it failed. went to 6 stores and finally got one that tested out good.

What is drawing power from the battery killing it in less than an hour and a half ??
You can have the alternator and battery tested in vehicle at most Autoparts stores. Although I have seen batteries that test good and turn out bad. Since you disconnected all audio gear for testing, issue points to a tired battery.

Look up 'parasitic draw test'.
If memory serves, with car off you check stuff as you pull fuses and one of the fuses your power draw will stop after you unplug it.
Then you troubleshoot the items powered by that fuse.
It sounds like a parasitic draw of some sort.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...