Power handling?

Can an alpine type r 15 take 1200rms daily without screwing the sub up?It is in a box that is 3.2 tuned at 35hertz.
A lot of people say it can. The answer is probably no. They are NOT as underrated as people say. They are a decent budget sub, but they really aren't overbuilt. There is nothing wrong with getting a larger amp for it, but watch it closely and if you hear the suspension pop turn the gain down. If you smell coil, turn the gain down. It's simple stuff, but most noobs ignore those two things until their sub is a slinky.

Ported boxes effectively LOWER the power handling of a sub b/c it limits excursion, thus, the amount of air the woofer can move around to cool the coil.

In all honesty, subwoofers are no more than 2% efficient. The duration of high volume levels has a lot to do with subwoofers finding their final resting place in a landfill. 1200w of music being played for, say, an hour is a lot different than the few seconds to minutes most subs see in competition duty. If this is a daily driver, I'd stay below the manufacturer's recommended power limits. Why? Who knows how they came up with them...better safe than sorry. (FWIW: I've never blown speaker or subwoofer)

Ported boxes effectively LOWER the power handling of a sub b/c it limits excursion, thus, the amount of air the woofer can move around to cool the coil.
In all honesty, subwoofers are no more than 2% efficient. The duration of high volume levels has a lot to do with subwoofers finding their final resting place in a landfill. 1200w of music being played for, say, an hour is a lot different than the few seconds to minutes most subs see in competition duty. If this is a daily driver, I'd stay below the manufacturer's recommended power limits. Why? Who knows how they came up with them...better safe than sorry. (FWIW: I've never blown speaker or subwoofer)
please leave this forum. we would do better without you

954-not-sure-if-serious.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.