power questions

Puggsley456
10+ year member

Who said you could talk?
In my olds I have gone through 4 alternators in the past 3 years with different systems. With my current system : 700 watts and 2 12's I just fried number 4. They all were 100amp alternators. So I finally upgarded and had mine rebuilt to 140 amps. Now I dont have the ability of upgrading the battery under my hood because of clearance problems(under washer fluid reevoir. I still have a fair amount of dimmage of my headlights voltage guage is getting one heck of a work out. Now my main questions are:

1) should I be ok with that alternator?

2) Should I install a second battery in my trunck? and if so, Deep cycle? Optima?

3) Or, should I install a 1 farad capacitor?

Im just sick of replacing all these parts!!

From just the information you provided i this post, it sounds like there is a bigger electrical problem than the draw 700amps will put on the alternator.

With a 140amp alternator 700watts shouldn't be putting a strain on it at all. Maybe get the rest of the car checked out.

I have had my car tested and nothing was found to be wrong. I think the problem with my car is that there are so many different connections spliced into the main power wire. It goes from my alt to a fuse box then to a auxilliary jump point and then to the battery. I think my main problem is that I was watching the voltage guage on my dash to closely, and as soon as it moved to much I got all worked up.

So instead of changing all of these cables in my chargin system to a bigger guage cable I figured it would be alot less of a headache to just put a second battery into my trunk.

I know the basics on how its should be wired, but is it better to go with a deep cycle battery over a normal car battery in the trunk? I dont play it with the car off.

Does anyone know a good place for info on how to properly wire this?

After reading all of the threads on capacitors in this forum I dont know if a good one wouldnt help my problem. Because I've upgraded my alt and I know my battery is still good.

I DONT KNOW WHICH WAY TO GO //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Should I go with a second battery or should I just install a capacitor? A capacitor would be Cheaper!

I need your Guys Advice on Which Way I Should Go!!!!!

A 140a alternator is sufficient for your current set-up and some headroom for a possible upgrade. I would recommend investing in somekind of capacitance in the form of a batcap or alumacap. A single farad capacitor isnt going to yield the results your aiming that $50-100 to do. Its like putting a band-aid on a stab wound. Your looking at about $150-200 to solve the problem. The batcap is super simple to install where the alumacap has a bunch of bs to deal with.

I dnont ahve the ability to buy off the internet. So my next option is my local dealers, and they dont carry anything like that.

Today for the first time I was able to really hit my system hard. I was very suprised at the difference in clairity the upgrade of my alternator reallly made. and the alternator really handled itself well. So I went to the local audio shop to get their opinion. They said with me only running 350rms I shouldnt need a second battery and that with my beefed up alt all I would really need is a cap to take the strain off my charging system. Which is all I really want to do! I know my alternator can handle what I am throwing at it. So I guess all Im looking for is something to get rid of the diming.

So, I think that a 1 farad cap is where I may be leaning towards.(Rockford or Stinger)

You are right. The only thing a second battery will do is allow you to play the stereo longer with the car not running (plus it is putting a strain on the charging system). The best thing for you to do is add a cap.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.