Prefab Sealed Box Vs Prefab Ported Box

Participant count
  • Participant list
id probably go with a prefab sealed as long as it meets the air space reqs of your sub. the 2 pre fab ported boxes i had had no low end whatsoever, and they were supposedly tuned at 34 hz.

Because this box I payed $150 for from mobile soundworks is 4cuft supposedly tuned to 32 hz.dont get me wrong.it makes my new soundqubed hds2 12"s smash the lows.but on the higher bass it lacks.its cause the port doesn't have enough area per cube.I mean its built strong.3/4 mdf and double baffle.I was thinking I should just get wood and close up the port and make a sealed box out of it.my subs will sound much better. And they already have their required airspace. Only until I can afford to get a custom box made.I learned with ported boxes its best to have them custom built to spec for your subs.what do you think about my sealing the port idea?

Yeah I bought a ported box from there that is strongly built and has enough airspace for my subs.its just that the port doesnt have enough area per cube so my subs dont hit every note like it should

That should be enough port area for the subs to hit the higher notes usually with too little port area the lower notes around tuning suffer the most. The higher notes around 45-60 should be fine. You could trim down the port and make it tuned to 38 hz and that would retain most of the low end and give you close to a 2.5 db increase around 50 hz or so. It looks like that port is 3 by 15 inches?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.