Profile amps any good?

MrTurtle
10+ year member

md
I'm currently looking for a 4 channel amp under 200 bucks. I don't want it to be too powerful, as my dash speakers have a max RMS rating of 35 watts. From my questioning here, I was told that THD was the most important spec to look at, and the lower the better.

I was looking at Alpine and Pioneer, as I have had positive experience with products from both companies before, but the amps I was looking at have a THD of 1%. Even the Diamond Audio amp that lyttleviet PM'd me about (seems like a good deal, I may take you up on it, but I've still got some research to do) had a THD of 0.2%

This amp (Profile AP1040)

http://http://www.crutchfield.com/p_489AP1040/Profile-AP1040.html?tp=115&tab=features_and_specs

has a THD of 0.05% I don't know if 80 Watts/channel is going to blow out my dash speaks, but on paper this looks like a good deal. What say ye?

I run an AP1040 in the GF's car powering Boston Pro60's/Polk coax's and it sounds great. Amp has been solid for 2+ years now, same with the Profile I run for rear fill in my car.

I've installed several of them the past few years and have never been disappointed.

Millionbuy has them for better prices...

I'm actually going to an electronics liquidation sale today or tomorrow, and I'm doing a little last-minute research for stuff to look out for. Course, I get the feeling that mostly what I'll find is off-brand junk, but whatever. Won't hurt to look.

Also, to mlstrass and BASS_Warrior: Do they get hot? I'm planning on putting it under the driver's seat, and there isn't a lot of space there. I want to make sure I get something that will work there and won't cook itself or my keister.

yep.

great bang for the buck. ive had two 600msx's that i ran in the gf's car for a while. i was running them at 1.5 ohm (theyre rated at 2 ohm) and they held up for a for a while until the rca jack got loose on one of them and i cant remember what happened to the other. and they actually have good customer service.

I have used them before and I have two of those exact amps in my car now. they run well, do the rms power they claim to do with ease. You can push them too hard and run them hot but if you set gains with a DMM it will just warm up. I have both of mine under a floor in my spare tire area and they do just fine.

IMO great amps especially for the money you pay. Always been reliable for me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.