prolly get this a lot, but i need recommendation(s) for a sub....

juggalomm
10+ year member

york, pa
alright, sorry to be a nuisance and bother you with a newbie question that's probably been asked by 90578 different people. i've been viewing these forums for a while now and have actually learned a lot from them. when i started out with car audio, i was an idiot and had pyramid subs and a legacy amp. let's just say i blew those in a matter of a month. now, the current system i have now still ***** ass. that's why i wanna upgrade. i currently have a 980w power acoustik amp pushing (don't laugh...i bought this when i didn't know too much still, immediately after my pyramid/legacy mistake) two audiobahn 12"s. i don't even know what kinda audiobahn subs they are; they came in a (hold laughter back again) neon lit bandpass box with three ports, wrapped in fake leather that looked cool as hell. i bought it for the bling i guess. so, basically, it's crap. the sad thing is, it pounds a lot louder than a buncha my friend's systems. what do you expect, they got sony xplods from walmart. anyways...

im on a limited budget. being 17 years old and working at a car dealership, then blowing all my money on my blazer doesn't help. but here's what i want. i want to find a SINGLE sub, preferably a 15" or a 12", under the price of $300. actually, the cheaper the better...but i wanna spend more than $150 on a sub. i don't want any gay circuit city/best buy brand, either. i want something different. i want it to be able to take a lot of power, and sound loud as hell. saddly, like most 17 year olds, i want more spl than sq. don't get me wrong; i want to be able to hear the distinct music and whatnot, but i want it to make me go deaf. so probably 60% spl and 40% sq. now that the sub is out of the way, i guess i'd need an amp to push it since i want it to be loud. so, when recommending a sub, recommend the best amp for it, as well. same price range, $300 or less. i'd be willing to purchase off ebay or whatnot.

thank you for your help. reading many posts, a lot of you do a great job. if it takes time to respond, i understand. if you don't feel like responding, i respect that as well. but help me out...i need to hear amazing bass thats not typical low grade crap //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Sounds like u need a Mag D2....but, it will be right at 300shipped. But i promise you, you will not be upset. And as a bonus, it can get really loud, while giving you some SQ also. Therefore you are not sacrificing anything. Good luck on your system though. Oh and if u do go with the Mag, PORT IT for the extra bass you are looking for. It will still sound good and sexy if you tune it to about 29hz

if i purchased the 12" si magnum...what type of amp would you recommend? i've been hearing good things about the tarantula...and they can be found on ebay pretty cheap.

Well there are really lots of options. You can send that sub 600 watts and it would be fine, you could also send it 1000 and it would take it no problem. My recomendation for a cheap amp would go to a Hifonics BX1000D. They are pretty cheap, and if i'm not mistaken the mags are dvc 2 ohm, so you'd wire it to 1 ohm and be sending the mag 1000 watts. That should definetly give you the SPL you are looking for. If you want higher quality, they definetly are out there, but due to my lack of extreme amounts of money I don't have experience with them. I can say though that SoundStream rubicons and references are very nice. Kicker makes some decent underrated amps, but none fit you're application quite as well, they are also expensive.

that hifonics amp i can get for $215 on ebay. sweet ****...thanks man. but i have one last question. in raw spl only, which would be better...the magnum or the re sx that someone previously mentioned (with the hifonics bx1000d amp)?

that hifonics amp i can get for $215 on ebay. sweet ****...thanks man. but i have one last question. in raw spl only, which would be better...the magnum or the re sx that someone previously mentioned (with the hifonics bx1000d amp)?
Although i never heard the SX personally, im pretty sure u wont be dissapointed either way you go. I just figured the Magnum, so u can have the best of both worlds. Because SPL wise, that thing pounds like crazy. And im pretty sure the RE Sx does also, but SPL and SQ wise, the D2 is hard to beat. But, i hope someone who has experienced both subs can answer you question. Good luck

Never heard the Sx, its brand new. The magnum is incredible though, I know you will not be dispointed with either of them, and all of your friends will be amazed assuming you get it in a good box.

espically if its a single sub setup

i havent hearg the magd, but i can say that the sx's are extremely nice with good sq to top it off. plus they look nicer if you still want the bling. ...i just hate the look of paper cones

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.