Proper Amp for Components?

FinalWolf
10+ year member

Stop reading my subtitle!
Over Here
Im looking at getting a set of Infinity Kappa 60.5cs for my front doors. I was thinking of powering them with the PG Octane-R5.4, which I would bridge and get 150x2RMS.

Im already getting 2 Ti10Ds and powering them with a HiFonics Brutus BX1000D, so Im kinda looking for that nice Blue glow look, which the Octane series does offer. Also because im doing a real clean install with creative amp rack that will show off these subs, so the better looking the amp, the better suited for me, even though I know this shouldnt be a big factor.

However, if anyone knows any better amps to use in this situation, please help me out and name brand and model #!!

Stats for the Comps (incase you dont know):

Ceramic Metal Matrix Diaphragm Plus One woofer cone

1" C.M.M.D. dome tweeter can be flush-, surface-, or angle-mounted

hi-roll rubber surround

2-way crossovers (high-pass/low-pass at 3500 Hz, 18 dB/octave)

frequency response 45-21,000 Hz

power range 2-90 watts RMS

peak power handling 270 watts

sensitivity 90 dB

Amp would be fine, I would not recommend the speakers though. If you have not heard them chances are you will be very disapointed with the harsh tweeters (If you don't like them). If you like a soft sound that doesn't hurt during s's and t's look into soft dome or silk dome tweets.

"I was thinking of powering them with the PG Octane-R5.4, which I would bridge and get 150x2RMS."

Hrmmm, i believe (do not quote me on this) but i do believe that if you bridge an amplifier you will be reverting to mono mode, which is fine for subwoofers but would **** for highs. Also if your amp is rated at 75 watts rms stereo into a 4 ohm load, that should be plenty for components. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

"I was thinking of powering them with the PG Octane-R5.4, which I would bridge and get 150x2RMS."

Hrmmm, i believe (do not quote me on this) but i do believe that if you bridge an amplifier you will be reverting to mono mode, which is fine for subwoofers but would **** for highs. Also if your amp is rated at 75 watts rms stereo into a 4 ohm load, that should be plenty for components. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif
Well its a 4 ch amp. It would still be in stereo, just one bridged channel for each speaker. You would use yadapters from the RCA's to do that.

when you bridge an amplifier you are converting a 2 channel stereo signal into a 1 channel mono signal, so running your highs off a mono signal is not a good idea unless you dont mind losing stereo separation

you can run your amp at 4 ohms stereo * 4, 2 ohms stereo * 4, 4 ohms mono (bridged) * 2 , 4 ohms stereo * 2 + 4 ohms mono (bridged) * 1, or finally 2, 2 ohm stereo *2 + 4 ohms mono (bridged) * 1.

when you bridge an amplifier you are converting a 2 channel stereo signal into a 1 channel mono signal, so running your highs off a mono signal is not a good idea unless you dont mind losing stereo separation
you can run your amp at 4 ohms stereo * 4, 2 ohms stereo * 4, 4 ohms mono (bridged) * 2 , 4 ohms stereo * 2 + 4 ohms mono (bridged) * 1, or finally 2, 2 ohm stereo *2 + 4 ohms mono (bridged) * 1.
You do not lose stereo separation. You run the right channel rca to one bridged channel of the 2. Then the left channel to the other. You hook one speaker up to bridge each 2 channels. So technically yes each speaker is bridging 2 of the channels into mono, but a single speaker is mono anyway. They will be stereo, if you bridged them on a 2ch amp they would be mono, but he isn't. This is really hard to explain, hopefully you get it.

Yes, that is a nice amp. Why don't you match the Hifonics amp with a NX4000 or something. Still plenty of power for your comps and you won't sacrafice THD when you bridge your 4 channel. If you are building a nice amp rack it would be much nicer to match the amps. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Just my opinion.

Yes, that is a nice amp. Why don't you match the Hifonics amp with a ZX4000 or something. Still plenty of power for your comps and you won't sacrafice THD when you bridge your 4 channel. If you are building a nice amp rack it would be much nicer to match the amps. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Just my opinion.

Also...someone said I could just leave it unbridged, just to let you know, thats the MAX rating you were looking at. The RMS rating is like a measely 50xRMS x4channels, which I feel would be under powering the comps...

comps love power. I am bridging my diamond 600.4 and runing 300 watts to each of my comps. I am maintaing stereo sound by usng the 2 rca's in each one of the positives on the amp. I had y splitters but I found that the sound had some weird resonance in the trebble.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.