Recommended settings for an EQS746

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hi,

My current setup consists of the following:

Clarion EQS746, Rockford Fosgate P165-S & P165, Soundstream PN4520D in a 2004 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport Hatchback

I am currently just feeding my phone and laptop into the EQ but have a DAC ordered and eventually will hookup my Nexus 7 as a dash install.

Anyway I'm having a bit of trouble setting each frequency on the EQ and can't find any guides on what some good settings are as there are no presets on the EQ (eg. dance, pop, rock, jazz).

I listen to a lot of indie rock and some house style music, where could I find something that would give me a better understanding of how to set it to get it sounding great. It's in my boot so it's kinda hard to do it by ear (let alone I'm not too good at it).

Thanks!

Equalizers are meant to be used for setting things flat and every vehicle and system design will require different settings. Thus... no one can tell you what the best setting is unless they run an RTA in your car on pink noise.

Beyond that, you can use the EQ to set the sound to your particular preference but there again, no one can tell you what you prefer any more than they can tell you what your favorite flavor of ice cream should be.

You may not even like ice cream. ;-)

I find that in a proper setup, you'd rarely want to even touch the EQ, maybe turn down the 6k knob on songs with bad sibilance/harsh highs thats inerent in the recording. With the EQS746 its not fine precision enough for you to achieve great sound quality, if anything it'll make some your songs sound crappier most of the times and you'd have to constantly readjust it. A digital sound processor or a good SQ head unit like the pioneer 80 prs would help much more in the EQ and tuning department then an EQs746 which is more like a band aid solution.

Each song will be different, you'll be finding yourself playing around with each hz knob for each and every song. There will never be a perfect setting that you'll just leave alone trust me, i've had almost 2 years with this lil EQ.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.