remote turn on relay

Participant count
  • Participant list

QuickXR
10+ year member

Ohio
I have read where it is advised to install a diode across the coil of the relay (term #85&86). Does the type of diode matter? Size, etc? I'm not an electronics guru so i'm not sure if all diodes are created equal.

The diode is to suppress the voltage spike caused by the collapse of the magnetic field in the coil when the relay is switched off, Unless you have a microcontroller or some other IC driving your relay than there is no point in using a diode the cars electrical system will absorb it like it's nothing. Even if your relay is powered by the HU you will be fine without one, as internally the remote turn on wire is just connected to the HU's power supply.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.