Rockville 12D1 Destroyer

Scooby59

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello,
I recently got my hands on a Rockville 12D1 destroyer. I wanted to ask for suggestion for gauge size for the wiring and what type of amp. I was thinking of going with the skar 4 gauge wiring kit and a power acoustik rxr1 2500 amp. Is this a decent set up for the subwoofer or not?
Thank you in advance.

No. The sub is rated to handle 2000 watts rms. That amp is only rated to make 650 watts rms. You will need more power than that to make that sub shine.

Well, the specs for the Rockville 12 say it’s got a 3” coil, 4 layer, so I’d say 1500 watt real world RMS power it would take. I don’t know much about Rockville other than budget stuff and may not even take that much daily. It looks like a pretty hefty sub, so I think 1500 is in the ball park for it and the coil size. Specs say 2000 watt, not sure if it will take that daily or not.

That Power Acoustik amp is rated at 600 watt RMS, I would not waste any money on that amp, it’s also not enough power.

I’d aim for a better amp that does at least 2000 watts RMS, and minimum 2 gauge OFC power wire.

I’m telling you though, that Power Acoustik amp is going to be a big disappointment on that sub. I don’t like suggestion anything in particular, I’ll let the others do that, but definitely get a better amp.

Look at the fusing on that amp. 50 Amps of fusing multiply by 14.4 at best, you're lookin g at 720 watts if it was 100% efficient which it is surely not. Take that 720 watts and multiply it by around 79% and you end up with a realistic output of around 568 watts for a sub that is rated at 2k RMS.

If you want an inexpensive otpion for powering that sub I sugest the folloing:

3k Watts for $249

2k $210

2k $200

2k $195

1.5k $169

Well, the specs for the Rockville 12 say it’s got a 3” coil, 4 layer, so I’d say 1500 watt real world RMS power it would take. I don’t know much about Rockville other than budget stuff and may not even take that much daily. It looks like a pretty hefty sub, so I think 1500 is in the ball park for it and the coil size. Specs say 2000 watt, not sure if it will take that daily or not.

That Power Acoustik amp is rated at 600 watt RMS, I would not waste any money on that amp, it’s also not enough power.

I’d aim for a better amp that does at least 2000 watts RMS, and minimum 2 gauge OFC power wire.

I’m telling you though, that Power Acoustik amp is going to be a big disappointment on that sub. I don’t like suggestion anything in particular, I’ll let the others do that, but definitely get a better amp.
thank you for the information! would it make sense to get a rockville amp to go with the sub? would the rockville rxm s6 or db16 8k watt be sufficient?

Last edited:
thank you for the information! would it make sense to get a rockville amp to go with the sub? would the rockville rxm s6 be sufficient?
I would not buy a Rockville amp. For one, that one is a 6 channel and not appropriate for that subwoofer, totally wrong application, and that aside I would get something other than Rockville as well. I'd definitely take the Taramps and some of the others Doxquzme listed over that Rockville.

Really want something that is known to do rated power and somewhat reliable. Might cost slightly more but it's worth it. It's easy to jump the gun and just randomly buy stuff, but take in some suggestions first before just diving into it.

I would not buy a Rockville amp. For one, that one is a 6 channel and not appropriate for that subwoofer, totally wrong application, and that aside I would get something other than Rockville as well. I'd definitely take the Taramps and some of the others Doxquzme listed over that Rockville.

Really want something that is known to do rated power and somewhat reliable. Might cost slightly more but it's worth it. It's easy to jump the gun and just randomly buy stuff, but take in some suggestions first before just diving into it.
Yes I was actually doing my research on Taramps and they seem to be a very reputable company. Would the 4 gauge wiring kit be the correct size? Would I also need to upgrade my alternator or battery? By the way I will be getting this setup professionally installed.

Last edited:
thank you for the information! would it make sense to get a rockville amp to go with the sub? would the rockville rxm s6 or db16 8k watt be sufficient?
The Rockville db16 is more appropriate for the sub, but to be honest I still personally wouldn't get a Rockville amp. Others can chime in with their thoughts on it (this forum has a bunch of really knowledgable members).

And try to steer away from looking at the amps "peak" or "Max" wattage ratings, look at the RMS and look for some of the youtube dyno videos to see if they do or even come close to rated RMS power. Like that db16 says 8K, but it's really a 2K amp.

Yes I was actually doing my research on Taramps and they seem to be a very reputable company. Would the 4 gauge wiring kit be the correct size? Would I also need to upgrade my alternator or battery? By the way I will be getting this setup professionally installed.
For a real 2000 watt system, 2 gauge OFC is really the absolute minimum you would want running a class D amp.

And 2K RMS is borderline for stock alternators / batteries. Playing music you might be able to get away with stock, but that kind of depends what kind of car, battery and stock alternator can put out. Again music depending, it's usually not a constant draw and you can get away with it sometimes, though upgrading alts is never a bad idea.

That Taramps is a good fit and when deciding on a Taramps, stay with their Smart BASS models. As for wiring an what not, just plan on a good 1/0 gauge OFC copper wiring kit to get that done. Anything else inbetween 4 and1/0 is going to be kind of funky with distro blocks and the like connectors. You will always be able to find 1/0 and 4 gauge ins and outs for anything you wire up with it.

AS for current draw, here is a great video on current draw and what you can expect depending on use.

If you are considering drawing real current that a 2k or 3k amp is capable of, start with at least 1/0 gauge wire, an oversized AGM under the hood and the big three upgrade or a parallel run of wires to a 2nd battery before considering an HO alternator which is kind of the last thing to do with LifePo and other lithium offerings an such.

These are great for the 2-3.5k upgrades.

Heck a t that price of $138, do it anyways!

Last edited:
And 2K RMS is borderline for stock alternators / batteries. Playing music you might be able to get away with stock, but that kind of depends what kind of car, battery and stock alternator can put out. Again music depending, it's usually not a constant draw and you can get away with it sometimes, though upgrading alts is never a bad idea.
Yea I have a ram 1500 and I do not plan on pushing limits for a while to be very honest.

That Taramps is a good fit and when deciding on a Taramps, stay with their Smart BASS models. As for wiring an what not, just plan on a good 1/0 gauge OFC copper wiring kit to get that done. Anything else inbetween 4 and1/0 is going to be kind of funky with distro blocks and the like connectors. You will always be able to find 1/0 and 4 gauge ins and outs for anything you wire up with it.

AS for current draw, here is a great video on current draw and what you can expect depending on use.

If you are considering drawing real current that a 2k or 3k amp is capable of, start with at least 1/0 gauge wire, an oversized AGM under the hood and the big three upgrade or a parallel run of wires to a 2nd battery before considering an HO alternator which is kind of the last thing to do with LifePo and other lithium offerings an such.

These are great for the 2-3.5k upgrades.

Heck a t that price of $138, do it anyways!

What wiring kits do you recommend? I was thinking the skar 4 gauge wiring kit because its only 55 but I do not mind spending a little more. I appreciate the video because I do want to expand more on my knowledge for this certain topic. I was kind of scared trying to use a capacitor because I have not upgraded the big 3 just yet. Maybe a year from now I might.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...