RV Stereo Replacement Problems. Low distorted sound. Unit gets hot.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Blackwell99

Hi all.

We have an RV. It had a Factory installed Jensen Car Stereo in an outside compartment with 2 Marine Grade speakers. It started acting up and died. So we bought a cheap Pioneer to replace it. On install I observed that they had wired the Front and Rear speaker leads together for each speaker on each side on the existing unit. That seemed odd to me, but the old one worked fine. I installed the new one exactly the same as old one except I only used the Front Right and Left speaker leads. RV Electrical can get a little weird but there is a 12 V + and 12 V- in the compartment. Red and Yellow to Positive, Black to Ground. The unit fired up correctly with all functions working but the sound is very low and distorted on FM or a CD. The Heat Sink on the unit also got quite hot. Any ideas? The 12 V + is actually 13.5 but thats within the spec. The ground seems to be good too. I double checked the speaker wiring but on these units, its pretty simple. Thanks in advance //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Mike D.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.