S15L7 overpowered?

Is the 1501BD to much power for (1) S15L7 4DVC. The amp is rated for 1500rms@2ohms. I'm running the sub with the voice coils in parallel. (2ohm load) I have the L7 installed in a 4cuft box tuned ~35. I had the gain on the amp set all the way down but I still ended up with a burned coil. I took it back and they exchanged it for a new one. The problem I'm haiving is it gets loud but dosen't hit hard. My friend has (2) S10L7 2DVC running off a 1051S and sounds like it hits harder? Do I need a bigger box? tuned different? This is in the back of my Jeep Grand Cherokee, so i could go with a slightly bigger box.

Is the 1501BD to much power for (1) S15L7 4DVC. The amp is rated for 1500rms@2ohms. I'm running the sub with the voice coils in parallel. (2ohm load) I have the L7 installed in a 4cuft box tuned ~35. I had the gain on the amp set all the way down but I still ended up with a burned coil. I took it back and they exchanged it for a new one. The problem I'm haiving is it gets loud but dosen't hit hard. My friend has (2) S10L7 2DVC running off a 1051S and sounds like it hits harder? Do I need a bigger box? tuned different? This is in the back of my Jeep Grand Cherokee, so i could go with a slightly bigger box.
first off, he has slightly more cone area than you, so of course it's gonna be louder.

Try building a bigger box (5+ cubes if you can) and tuning it around 40hz.

That amp shouldn't be overpowerng it. It puts out 1000w RMS at 2 ohm and the L7 is rated at 1000w RMS if I remember right. Mind you you the amp might put out closer to 1200w RMS (not completly sure but that is what i have been told) if you have your gain down you should of been alright. I don't know why that happen but just hang around and some of the other people here might have a better idea what happen.

Good luck

Jon

first off, he has slightly more cone area than you, so of course it's gonna be louder.
Area = L x W

(1) S15L7 = (1)(15"x15") = 225sqin aprox.

(2) S10L7 = (2)(10"x10") = 200sqin aprox.

That seems pretty close, as far as cone area goes, unless its measured some other way. I will measure my cargo area and see if I can put in a box that size in there. (got to leave enough room for the Ice Chests)haha..

My 1501bd is rated at 1500watts x 1@2ohms

His 1051S is rated at 525watts x 2 @2ohms

Both amps are seeing a 2ohm load. The original sub was only about a week old when the coil burned, could that have been the problem?

thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.