FEATURED Scrapyard Score (exaggerating a bit on being a score)

Deiimos

CarAudio.com Exclusive
Took a load of old appliances to the scrapyard yesterday and seen this American Bass VFL-8 hiding in the pile behind my truck. I’m not really into 8’s, but figured I’d grab it. Looks like the surround came unglued as someone super glued it back down, and it tore in several other spots, also glue came undone under the gasket. The cone got oil or something on it so needs a full recone. Magnet slugs and basket look okay, no cracks.

Gave it a light cleaning to get the nasty stuff off, and ready to hide it somewhere until I decide what to do with it, and probably forget I even have it. 😅

Not the biggest motor around, but decent for an 8”. I'm sure most would have left this beast behind, but.... I'm a hoarder like that. 😄

IMG_7400.JPG

IMG_7397.JPG

IMG_7396.JPG

IMG_7389.JPG

IMG_7390.JPG

IMG_7392.JPG

IMG_7404.JPG

And yeah I don't really expect any replies, not much to say here. I don't post much because I don't really do much with car audio anymore, I mess around occasionally, but really haven't done much in several years.

Tempted to glue the surround best I can and properly fry the voice coil, much more respectable than being left at a scrapyard. Kinda don't want to waste the glue though. 😄

Last edited:
Check w/AB, see if a recone option is available, if it is, won't be forever.
Solid idea for sure, but I currently have no use for it at the moment, probably won't do anything with this sub right now. I think they phased the yellow cone version out, not sure of their latest iteration of this model uses similar soft parts or not. There's always the ebay aftermarket stuff for the DIY / custom style sub building. I hate to recone something that is just going to sit around, but I will keep that in mind if I decide to do it anytime soon.

Gave it a light cleaning to get the nasty stuff off, and ready to hide it somewhere until I decide what to do with it, and probably forget I even have it. 😅
Shoot, if the spider is firmly attached I would re-foam it and build a box for it. It is a scrapyard find, but it has feelings and aspirations. Poor little guy must have been scared all alone.

Shoot, if the spider is firmly attached I would re-foam it and build a box for it. It is a scrapyard find, but it has feelings and aspirations. Poor little guy must have been scared all alone.
Yeah, I felt bad seeing the nice looking voice coil windings, it wasn't even ran hard enough to meet such an ill fate. Poor little fella.

The Kevlar part of the cone looks to have absorbed some oil or something while being in the scrapyard, I'm not sure it would take any glue very well? I think I could E6000 or similar the surround to make it "work" but not sure if it's worth bothering with. The superglue job previously done appears to be holding fine still, but that oil might hinder attaching a surround to it. I suppose gluing to that edge of surround could work if done right. Spiders are still attached fine.

I could honestly probably get a cone / surround combo off ebay cheap, and salvage the coil from this old cone and swap it over, even the spiders, I've done this before, making Frankenstein subs out of old damaged subs laying around. The current 15" in my car is a 15" Kove Armageddon / 12" American Bass Elite parts hybrid. 😅 Cone and basket from the Kove 15", motor, spiders, and voice coil from the AB 12", and a plywood shim under the surround as the basket wasn't deep enough with the AB spider pack. :LOL:

I'm certainly not against hacking things together, just no use for this little 8 at the moment, but at least it's in a climate controlled environment where it can rest safely out of the elements.

That's not a bad idea either, forgot about that, but seen a ton of videos on it. :LOL:
When I was kid (long before the innerwebs) i blew a pair of audiovox 8" subs and my dad cut the basket done to 1 spoke and put an eye bolt on it for rope. I pulled a ton of stuff out of lakes with those 😂

Not much "treasue" but there was volume 😳

Last edited:
When I was kid (long before the innerwebs) i blew a pair of audiovox 8" subs and my dad cut the basket done to 1 spoke and put an eye bolt on it for rope. I pulled a ton of stuff out of lakes with those 😂

Not much "treasue" but there was volume 😳
The videos of it honestly make it look kinda fun. At least you got a little more use out of those Audiovox magnets!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Deiimos

CarAudio.com Exclusive
Deiimos
Columbus Ohio
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views