Single sundown Xv3 15 or dual ? 12’s recommendations

West1
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have a 2021 Tahoe and running a FSD-2700 1ohm stable amp on a FI Audio SSDv4 15d2. Current box is 4.14 cuft anfter displacement and I plan to use the same box (will modify for new sub(s)). Basically listen to E-40 when bumping.

Before I pull the trigger on the Xv3 15, any recommendations on a dual SPL 12 setup that will fit in a max of 4.25cuft box?

One of those, make sure I’m buying the right sub(s) scenarios since I’ve been out of the name brand/performance game for a few years.

Ty!

Last edited:
I can just throw put this possibility.

12" American Bass Hawk says 2.2 cubes for 1 sub.

They seems stronger than XFL.
I run 2 12" XFLs on 3k amplifier and they are strong.

What's wrong with your FI
I have the Xv3 10 in my car and its nice but if you want 2 12's for the same price as 15 your going to have to go with lower end 12's
I think I'd just stay with the 15 if I were you
More cone area aside its a different sound and I think you might be disappointed with the 12's
If it were me and I had that much room I would go with a 15

PSI car audio platform 3 15" with upgrades to handle 3k watts. Or 2 PSI platform 2 12"s.
EXOcontralto uses PSI subs with Incriminator audio amps. Incriminator audio also has some sick subs. Personally, I have 2 IA death row 12"s and they hit hard AF.

So I was talked out of going dual 12’s over a single 15 for low end… now I just can’t get my mind off a sundown xv3 15 or Zv6.
If I had the same power on a xv3 or Zv6 with correct box specs, would there be a drastic difference in bass?

So I was talked out of going dual 12’s over a single 15 for low end… now I just can’t get my mind off a sundown xv3 15 or Zv6.
If I had the same power on a xv3 or Zv6 with correct box specs, would there be a drastic difference in bass?
Not sure where you are getting your info from. A single 15" has less cone area and generally, 15's do not play as low as a 12" driver, all things being equal (brand, model line, etc.)

Take any given model in any given lineup - an average size 15" driver is going to have approximately 176 square inches of cone area while dual 12" drivers are going to have approximately 226" of cone area. The name of the game in BASS is moving air, You need cone area to move air.

As long as you are comparing 1 size versus the other in any given model line of from any manufacturer, you may want to reconsider unless the criteria for the whole design take you to a 15".

Last edited:
Even if one accepts that premise (which I don't) In this the criteria is between two 12" subs and a single 15" sub. Comparing those two configurations in the same model lineup from the same manufacturer, dual 12's will outdo the same model 15, no question.

Bigger subs naturally play lower than smaller ones...so a 15 would play lower than a similar 12
Assuming that's true. 2 12s is still more cone area than 1 15. So, do you want it to be louder with 12s, or Slightly lower but not as loud with 1 15? If you can do 2x 15s...

In my experience I'd either go with 2 decent 12s in the 750w range like sa classics or stick with the x-15 you have planned for your planned power. FSD2600 correct? Jmo but being able to get the performance out of your gear is as much of a consideration as cone area. As is you've already got an enclosure built for that 3rd row location that is really close what that X likes and the power to push it a little.
If it was me I'd probably stick with the X over a Zv6 unless you want to rebuild and add power.
The 12s are another route but something tells me that you would be happier with the X.

Jmo and good luck.

Two 12’s were route since I am under the impression that more come area equals deeper bass, hence the thread.
Upon reading and trying to narrow down a pair of 12’s, the itch for a single 15 kept creeping back up. The sundown Xv3 15 was just about purchased when a buddy of mine that has a pair of JL 10’s in a custom box let he hear his 10’s. I was completely shocked at how good 10” tweeters hit (haha). He then told me swapping from a FI SSDv4 15” on same system to a sundown Xv3 15 would “maybe” give me a 1db more output and not worth buying another 15.
In the end, my brain crashed and said screw it, why bother swapping anything, just be happy…
Now, yesterday on FB marketplace, searching for a used frag fish tank, a local guy popped up with a sundown Zv6 15d2 for 500.00. So now I’m really cross eyed as to which direction to go Lol.

My goal… I’d like deeper and louder bass. I don’t plan on upgrading amp. Ideally, minimum to no box modifications to the current box I have 4.17 cuft box I have. If I can get away with an increase of lows by swapping a 15” sub and setting gains again, that would be sweet! If going that route is adding two 12’s, then I planned to remove the top two plates of my current box and making plates for a pair of 12’s.

Last edited:
A ZV6 15 for $500 is a good deal, assuming it's not damaged. Your amp puts out 2k watts rms @1ohm, Correct? That would definitely work. 2 12"s could cost more than $500. Take my 2 IA DR 12s for example. I payed just under $900 for them, shipped. It's all up to you and what you're willing to spend.

My goal… I’d like deeper and louder bass. Ideally, minimum to no box modifications to the current box I have 4.17 cuft box I have. If I can get away with an increase of lows by swapping a 15” sub and setting gains again, that would be sweet! If going that route is adding two 12’s, then I planned to remove the top two plates of my current box for a pair of 12’s.
I'd add the 2 rings as I said in the other thread or invert the sub. 6/5 and choose but the added volume with the fixed port area should lower your current tuning and still have enough port to work nicely. Jmo but the less mods to the enclosure you have currently is more better ese... lol. The amp you got is enough for the X, not going to kill it unless you clip it to death. I've seen 4-5k amps really tax X-15's and they just keep on banging. Clean power forsure and for limited periods but they can handle bursts well over rated.

Personally I wouldn't recommend a 2k- 2500w Zv6 on your amp, it would work but not really flex that sub.

I'd add the 2 rings as I said in the other thread or invert the sub. 6/5 and choose but the added volume with the fixed port area should lower your current tuning and still have enough port to work nicely. Jmo but the less mods to the enclosure you have currently is more better ese... lol. The amp you got is enough for the X, not going to kill it unless you clip it to death. I've seen 4-5k amps really tax X-15's and they just keep on banging. Clean power forsure and for limited periods but they can handle bursts well over rated.

Personally I wouldn't recommend a 2k- 2500w Zv6 on your amp, it would work but not really flex that sub.

Two Sundown U 12 V2's will do work.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...