soldering wires in a sub

excelonperu
10+ year member

livin it up
Dallas,Tx
Hi finally i got it and made it all by myself the deck, the speakers the sub, but then, tragedy one of the wires from my sub is unsoldering constantly beacuse of the vibration inside the box.

It is the wire that goes from the cone to the place where you hook up the wires from your amp, yes that little piece with usually 2 screws.

The question is since the wire is a little short can I cut it and solder it with a longer one, what kind of wire is that? i want to solder it to a longer one and then wrap that around this little piede and solder it to make sure it wont come off again, have someoen ever had this problem before of the wire unsoldering from the vibration

thanks

If the solder joint is cracking and breaking, then splicing in a braided copper wire (Good luck finding some in that small of gauge) should help. But I would try to give it a stronger solder joint first. If you do right, there is no way vibration will crack it. (Use extra solder if you have to.)

BUT, if the solder joint is melting on its own, then you've got a bigger problem; too much current, an impeadance mis-match or some other problem is over-heating the wire! (As in FIRE HAZARD!) One possibility is a defective voice coil in the speaker.

Later.

HAHAHA...is it a JL? I had that problem, I just resoldered like you want to do. You don't want to wrap the wire around anything though. If you have a warranty I'd try sending it back first JL and Rockford will usually take stuff back if you go to where you bought it even if the warranty is up....they did for me. It happened again though, bad voice coil as CWT said so that's when I sent it back. Got a new sub in the box, they don't do repairs!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.