Some good tape to cover lights on my radio?

Participant count
  • Participant list

dorlow
10+ year member

I have a 2004 Impala and I had a Pioneer FH-X720BT radio installed. I like it a lot. I like also how I can use two different colors. One color for the display and one for the keys so, if you didn't see the Pioneer logo at the top and not know what an Impala was supposed to look like, it almost cosmetically could pass for a factory radio. I was able to make a custom color for the display that matches the odometer color. The button lights, I can't choose a custom color other than the custom color the display is. To make it look factory, I chose light blue, which looks like an off white color.

But I hate the lights that go down vertically down the sides and the light that goes under the radio across. They're annoying and straight out dangerous at night. I have the radio at a 4 setting for dimness. The display is perfect at night. But the lights on the side are still extremely bright.

I tried cutting some electrical tape and putting it over the lights. Cosmetically, it looked good except after a day in heat, the tape came off.

I just bought some black duct tape and ripped it so it would go over the lights. It works great for blocking the light as a distraction, but cosmetically, it looks like crap. There has to be a a tape that has some good adhesive properties to it, but has a finish like electrical tape where if I get it on straight, it should look pretty nice and, if someone wasn't looking for it, might not notice it at all.

Or does anyone have another idea how to make those lights less of a distraction?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.