Sound Profiles - 15" v. two 12"s v. one 12" - All at 1000w

zoltman1991

CarAudio.com Recruit
houston
Hey again. It's me ya boy!

First of all, thank you so much to everyone who has helped with my installation. I finally got it to where I want to be! But... now I'm questioning my decision on a single 15" (3.5cuft at 37hz). I feel I may have sacrificed too much SQ for SPL.

I've been doing a lot of research, and I have a good grasp, but I wanted to post a forum to get testimonials/empiric data.

Preface:
I listen to primarily electronic. NOT techno/house/trance. More 'brostep' and dubstep. These involves fluid, dynamic, hard-hitting baselines as opposed to repetitive thumping bass notes. (zed's dead, ganja white night, liquid stranger, subtronics - please look them up if you don't know them).

What are sound profiles of the following options, and which (in your experience), do you think would most closely match what I'm looking for.
-Single 15"
-Single 12" at 1000w rms
-dual 12"s at 1000w rms (500 x 2)

I think I like the idea of moving more air with two drivers at 500w than moving a single 12" with more power.
I'm looking for clean, dynamic shifts in fluid basslines, with the ability to crank up and feel the music.

Thank you all!

A good 15 in a proper box will get pretty loud 😂
lol yes. But again, I think I may be looking for more SQ. Considering smaller cone sizes. Right now it is loud. I've noticed however, some of the basslines don't transition well when it gradually becomes higher in frequency and I feel it's not as smooth. That's why I'm considering 12"s.

lol yes. But again, I think I may be looking for more SQ. Considering smaller cone sizes. Right now it is loud. I've noticed however, some of the basslines don't transition well when it gradually becomes higher in frequency and I feel it's not as smooth. That's why I'm considering 12"s.
I run 2 15" stereo integrity sqls...there's no loss of sound quality. That roll off more than likely is due to your box or crossover settings tbh. My subs sound best lowpassed at 60hz (imo) but they'll play cleanly past 120hz they're also in a sealed box. Ported boxes not only start rolling off under the tuning frequency but also have top end roll off. The box is the biggest factor in how a sub sounds.

Hey again. It's me ya boy!

First of all, thank you so much to everyone who has helped with my installation. I finally got it to where I want to be! But... now I'm questioning my decision on a single 15" (3.5cuft at 37hz). I feel I may have sacrificed too much SQ for SPL.

I've been doing a lot of research, and I have a good grasp, but I wanted to post a forum to get testimonials/empiric data.

Preface:
I listen to primarily electronic. NOT techno/house/trance. More 'brostep' and dubstep. These involves fluid, dynamic, hard-hitting baselines as opposed to repetitive thumping bass notes. (zed's dead, ganja white night, liquid stranger, subtronics - please look them up if you don't know them).

What are sound profiles of the following options, and which (in your experience), do you think would most closely match what I'm looking for.
-Single 15"
-Single 12" at 1000w rms
-dual 12"s at 1000w rms (500 x 2)

I think I like the idea of moving more air with two drivers at 500w than moving a single 12" with more power.
I'm looking for clean, dynamic shifts in fluid basslines, with the ability to crank up and feel the music.

Thank you all!

I would rebaffle that box for 2 - 12's. The Sundown SA Classic 12's would be ideal for that box.

I run 2 15" stereo integrity sqls...there's no loss of sound quality. That roll off more than likely is due to your box or crossover settings tbh. My subs sound best lowpassed at 60hz (imo) but they'll play cleanly past 120hz they're also in a sealed box. Ported boxes not only start rolling off under the tuning frequency but also have top end roll off. The box is the biggest factor in how a sub sounds.
So interestingly, I ordered a sealed box. I want to experiment with that to see how it responds and how sounds.

Right now, with box being tuned at 37hz, I keep LPF at 80hz. Just a general setting I've seen across the board.
Would two 12's have a broader range of frequencies it can maintain at?

Part of my was considering a 4th order. This would be ideal as it would be best tuned for two different frequencies to keep response consistent, right? There's a local guy I was chatting with who would build it for $250 if I joined in on the project.

Two 12s will probably be louder. I suspect the reason that transition isn't smooth is because your subwoofer is probably 6-9db louder than your front stage.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...