sound quality vs frequency response

Participant count
  • Participant list
Stupid newbie question, ....then why do 6.5 inch speakers cover up to 22k and tweeters peak at the same? Does that mean I can get great sound on high end with only 6.5 inch?

Take any manufacturer's freq response rating and throw it out the window UNLESS it is accompanied by tolerances (+/- 6 dB for example) or better yet a response graph.

it means that the speaker will be able to reproduce the sounds in that range. without any distortion or dificulties.
Really it means a grand total of squat without any tolerances. Most quality speaker brands publish a response graph for their drivers and let the user decide what is the usable frequency range since it varies with install and crossover. The lower level speakers are advertised with a range and nothing else. I've seen low quality 6.5" coaxes advertised with a freq range of 30Hz-25kHz. I wouldn't believe for a minute that those speakers could drop to 30Hz or even 75 for that matter with anything but "distortion or difficulties." Same with the top end. Most start rolling off or breaking up around 15K.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.