Soundstream RUB1000-2 Vs. Zapco REF500

Priorityship
10+ year member

I am currently running my soundstream RUB1000-2 to push 3 JL 10w6's. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with both the soundstream and the Zapco in the same setup. I just picked up the zapco for $200 brand new. Even though the soundstream is a 1000 watt amp, it doesn't seem to push the JL;s very well. Has anyone else had any thought on the soundstream being way over rated??? I am going to try the Zapco and see how big of a difference there is. Which is the better amp???

Well the 1000W rating on the Rub1000-2 is @14.4V so you likely aren't seeing all the power... Since your subs are 300RMS each you are definitely not giving them too much power by any respect.

Well first off 3 subs usually present odd ohm loads, also I always though SS amps were rated at 12v and still very underrated, maybe just the older ones...

Yeah just the older ones.

From my Soundstream Manual:

RUB1000-2

200X2@4ohm stereo - (12.6v)

400X1@8ohm bridged - (12.6v)

500X2@2ohm stereo - (14.4v)

1000X1@4ohm bridged - (14.4v)

(same for 1ohm stereo and 2ohm bridged)

-Alex

Depending on the enclosure, you can get almost full performance out of those 10W6s with as little as 400 watts total. I do speak from experience on this. In fact you can easily blow those subs with 150 watts in the wrong enclosure by exceeding their mechanical limits. The old W6 series was really easy to power and were meant to be run in 3's. 3 would give either a 4 or 1 ohm and the fact that you needed very little power to get a lot out of them made it easy to match an amp to them.

I would check the wiring of your subs and make sure you have them wired correctly. The voicecoils of each sub should be wired in series and all the subs should be wired in parallel for a 4 ohm final load. Your amp should be putting out about 800 watts with 12V at that load and should get those subs going really well.

I am going to have a custom box made and I will re-wire the subs. I will try both amps and see what i like better. I'm not really looking for SPL so much. i am looking more for SQ. Thanks for the help. The only other question I would have is: Has anyone had any experience with the Zapco REF500??? I would love to hear feedback on that amp.

is the soundstream rubi1000 a good amp as far as producing clean powers also is it durable and does it ever go into protection? I'm asking because i was thinking about getting with to pair with my mag 15''. but if this amp isn't very good then i will just go for the ppi art A600. sorry OT

The amp is solid...it has never gone into protection mode...one of the things i like is that it has led's telling you when the speakers clip. great for someone like me who doesn't know much about tuning and setting gains. I just put the deck on full blast and set the subs so it is a notch away from clipping. I also have the RUB600-4 which is great for my interiors. I just like to change i up to compare amps and brands.

Depending on the enclosure, you can get almost full performance out of those 10W6s with as little as 400 watts total. I do speak from experience on this. In fact you can easily blow those subs with 150 watts in the wrong enclosure by exceeding their mechanical limits. The old W6 series was really easy to power and were meant to be run in 3's. 3 would give either a 4 or 1 ohm and the fact that you needed very little power to get a lot out of them made it easy to match an amp to them.
I would check the wiring of your subs and make sure you have them wired correctly. The voicecoils of each sub should be wired in series and all the subs should be wired in parallel for a 4 ohm final load. Your amp should be putting out about 800 watts with 12V at that load and should get those subs going really well.
I dont find it necessary to post my opinion when this dude posts his, he got you covered on this one.

3 12w6's can be only be wired up to 2 ohm, matter affect this is what JL recommends, go to jlaudio website and they will show you exactly how to wire them. Also soundstream has never been reliable amps, so so overrated. w6's can take about 700 watts, you going to need a good amp, I had them running on a power punch 800a2, try an orion, but your zapco will be better than the SS

3 12w6's can be only be wired up to 2 ohm, matter affect this is what JL recommends, go to jlaudio website and they will show you exactly how to wire them.
Explain to me how you can 1) wire 3 6 ohm DVC subs to 2 ohms and 2) how you cna wire 3 4 ohm DVC subs to 2 ohm. He has the old W6's (not the W6v2) which only came in 6 ohm DVC. And seeing how you can't wire 3 of the new ones to 2 ohms either I am left with the opinion that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Also soundstream has never been reliable amps, so so overrated.
Never? I can't speak for the current models, but the REFERENCE series and the D, MC and Class A series before them were some of the best amps built...EVER. Again I am left thinking that you don't have a clue.

w6's can take about 700 watts, you going to need a good amp, I had them running on a power punch 800a2, try an orion, but your zapco will be better than the SS
Whatever...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.